Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Big Bear Trip.

30K views 668 replies 34 participants last post by  Motorep 
#1 · (Edited)
BIG BEAR TRIP SEPT 11TH and 12TH.

The trails range from stock 2wd can make it to ouch.

Camp sites are sold out but if you still want to go there are plenty of hotels/motels.

We are staying at Pine Knot campground.
Big Bear Campgrounds and Picnic Areas
We are all sharing spaces too.
The spaces are 40 feet long and up to 8 people per site, $5 per extra vehicle after the first one but only two vehicles allowed per spot but there is parking on the street outside the camp site.
877-444-6777 or you can do it online at Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

Make a reservation. Grandpappy is wanting to share a space with somebody but he is sleeping in his station wagon (ZJ) :laugh:
Everybody is splitting the cost of the sites to save bux.

People going:
Chris, Krista and no dogs this time (Camping Site 36) 33's some lift locked front and D35
Rik, Betsy and two tax deductions (Camping Site 36) 33's some lift 8.8, D30 open diff
Richie, wife and kid (Don't know if camping or Motel) 33's lotsa lift D30, D35 open diff
Jeepnkal and Girlfriend (Camping Site 41) 32's 2" lift open diff
KraZeDav with Wife(Motel 6) 33's lifted and locked
NateWithoutBeer, wife and dogs (Camping Site 38) 31's 4" lift, front locker D35 rear
Jbolty (Camping site 39) 33's or 35' and a bunch of other stuff
Gomez, wife and dog (Camping Site 38)
smcalpac (Camping Site 39) 31's 2" lift open diff's
Smartshot and girlfriend (Camping site 41) 33's 2" lift 8.8 LSD
Motorep (Showing up Saturday night with some XJ's) 35's locked
Sebastian22 (Camping Site 37) 35's locked and more fun stuff then most of us.
Grandpapy (Camping if anyone has an extra half a spot) GC 2" Lift and 30's
Sully (Camping Site 28) Rubicon with 31's
Climbit (Camping Site 42) XJ on 33's and 4:56's open diffs
Momytoad (Cabin with hot chocolate) 4runner on 29's
4LVLFWD (Camping Site 42) XJ
mJUSTINm (Saturday day trip)
3Samudra (Wants to go but has not confirmed)
Sene (Saturday day trip)

Food: Bring your own lunch and snacks for the trail but for dinners potlucks have worked well in the past so post up something you may want to bring. For Breakfast we can do potluck or bring your own just let me know which way you want to go. I will probably be bringing a full sized propane BBQ to the campsite.

Friday Dinner: Fend for yourself since everyone will be showing up at different times.

Saturday Breakfast(Burritos): Rik will bring eggbeaters, Chris will bring some sausage, Jbolty has tortillas, cheese, salsa and everything else for the burritos, Gomez will bring OJ and some pastries. Sam will bring bacon (precooked if possible) KraZeDav will bring Tuscan cantaloupe

Saturday Dinner: I will bring BBQ pork, Jbolty has Corn, KraZeDav will bring potatoe salad. Sam has dinner rolls. JeepnKal has hot dogs. Sebastian has chicken breast.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm definitely interested in going, but it has to be a weekend. Keep us posted.

#6 ·
Sounds good, hopefully I can get the time off and a few bucks put aside for food and beverages.

#10 ·
I'd love to go.
Work has been really slow so My funds are tight.
Who wants to buy me gas. :justkidding:
Chris, do you know any decent/cheap motels that allows pets up that way.
Got to bring my hood ornament
Might be cheaper than gas for the RV.
Last time I was in Big Bear was '04 and that trip was the spark that got me to buy a Jeep.

#12 · (Edited)
Cheap would be motel 6 in Big Bear city and as of last weekend it was 59 bucks a night but I don't know if they allow animals but you could probably sneak it in unless it is a 700 pound wolverine. I will look more into it and let you know. Or you could tent camp for like 10 bucks a night on the lake in the camp ground which happens to be about 50 feet from the forest enterance.

Also it is looking like the first weekend in September I believe the 4th and 5th.

#13 ·
That date looks like it works for me.
Hopefully my Aussie is back from the factory by then. If not, I have a winch if needed. The trails aren't that bad anyway.
Maybe I'll just bring Betsy's Avalon instead. Put some 31's on it.

#17 · (Edited)
OK so I guess I am gonna set the date for Sept 11th and 12th weekend. Now we need to figure out if you guys want to camp or stay in a motel? Motel 6 in Big Bear City (Across the street from the convention center) was at 59 bucks a night as of last weekend. Then you have Serrano campground that is 26 bucks a night for up to 8 people here is there website. They are pretty much on the water but I am sure those spots are a bit more. Serrano Campground Or there is the campgrounds in the forest that should still be 10 bucks a night but they have no facilities except an outhouse. At serrano they have full hookups if anyone wants to bring an RV or trailer, I am not bringing my 5th wheel so I will either be tenting it with everyone or staying at my families house if you guys decide on the motel. If everyone is interested I can look into getting a private spot in the forest that you can have a fire at by permit but it will have no facilities at all. Let me know what you all think so we can go from there. There is also nicer Hotels like Northwoods and a few others but then you are looking at over 100 bucks a night.

Also if you know you are going to go post it up and I will start a list of who's going. and if you have any questions about anything up there I should know I did live there for 20 years.

#23 ·
Labor day weekend seems like a good time to steer clear of the mob scene. Maybe we can do something local before then; I've been itching to get out camping and wheeling but have been too busy lately.

Before too long it will be time for Oktoberfest in Lake Arrowhead.

#38 ·
I'm OK with that date. I'll be camping with the camper so I don't actually need any facilities other than a fire pit to sit by and have several Captain Morgan and Root Beers.

BTW: That Saturday is Patriot Day. Wonder if there will be a bunch of Jeep Patriots up there. When is Wrangler day?

#29 · (Edited)
So this is who I have on the list so far. And the date will be the 11th and 12th of September. I will keep updating the first post on page one if anyone misses anything. I will probably be going up a day or two early so I can visit the forestry and see what trails are open and if any are closed.

Chris, Krista and no dogs this time (I'll be where the fun is at, camping or motel don't care)
Rik, Betsy and maybe kids (I am assuming)
Richie, wife and kid (Don't know if camping or Motel)
Jeepnkal (Maybe, I changed the weekend)
KraZeDav with wife (Motel)
NateWithoutBeer, wife and dogs (Campsite)
JBolty (Camping or motel doesn't care)
Gomez, wife and dog (Camping most likely)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.