Beginner trails near sd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Beginner trails near sd

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
BukieMonster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Beginner trails near sd

Hey guys! I'm new to posting on the forum and definitely new to jeepin'. But I wanted to know some beginner trails I could take my rig too that are within an hour or two. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

BukieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Hey, welcome to the forum.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/re...hv/index.shtml

Here's a link to some maps of the Cleveland National Forrest. The Trabuco North area is in my backyard and probably about an hour from San Diego. The roads shown are fire roads and not challenging at all, but have some great views at the higher elevations. The other districts are closer to SD, but I couldn't tell you
anything about them.

http://www.dirtopia.com
is another good place for trail info.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Corral Canyon
Nate Harrison Grade
Pancake Rock
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would agree try Corral Canyon.
There are some nice trails around the Anza Borrego Desert..\
If you keep an eye on the San Diego thread we post runs we want to head out too.
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
BukieMonster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

cheers! thanks for the info. im sure ill be posting more from here out
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
StvDiego

With a nearly bone stock Jeep I'd try some places like the Otay Truck Trails in south county, there's several trails out in the desert that a stocker can handle - Canyon Sin Nombre, Vallecito Creek and the surrounding arroyos, lots of places near Ocotillo Wells and near Borrego Springs like Grapevine Canyon.

Best thing to do is start meeting some local people, head out on some runs, see what kind of off-roading you want to do, get tons of advice and plan out a build and let the spending begin
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome.

Everyone has a different definition of "beginner". What are you actually looking for?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
BukieMonster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking probably some truck trails, fire roads etc. my rig is basically stock but in great shape. So something that will make use of what a jeep is meant for but won't end up tearing up my rig just yet haha
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Go to the desert. Plenty of easy stuff out there, and the scenery cant be beat.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
Corral Canyon
Nate Harrison Grade
Pancake Rock
Good start here. There is every level at corral canyon and nate harrison goes to the top of palomar. Pancake rock is not too far off the 8 and a pretty easy road up the mountain. I think the official name is Carvacre trail.

http://www.offroadatlas.com/pancake-...carvacre-trail

There are some trails at Otay as well; not personally familiar though.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
xjones

Does Coyote Canyon go all the way through? Or is it an up and down type of road?
xjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Coyote Canyon is an out and back trail. It's actually one of my favorites even though it's not really technical. I like the water crossings and the scenery is great. It's a great day run and there are decent places to eat in Borrego Springs. Do it if you get a chance. Be sure to go with another Jeep if you have doubts in your rigs ability.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

careful with the water crossing in Coyote Canyon... a TJ will be fine, but an xj or yj will have issues... I'm in need of a new t-case because of that

diablo dropoff can be run in a stock jeep with no major issues... anza borrego is home to many a dirt wash and road that although scenic and off the beaten path won't require much more than 4wd for the sand.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
xjones

yeah - I'm pretty familiar with Rock-o-tillo Wells and that section of anza borrego - grew up on dirtbikes out there. I've ridden every trail from blowsand to the saltan sea (well, almost). But, now I've got a jeep and want something different than ocotillo wells. My xj is up on 33's and about a 5 inch lift (bushwacker flares) and my only real concern for my rig right now is that I'm lacking a roll cage...
xjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
BukieMonster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pardon my ignorance, how come stock tj's fair better in water crossings then say, my good condition stock yj??

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.