Beat a speeding ticket? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Beat a speeding ticket?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Reply
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
Jeebs
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
I watch as many 'webinars', online classes and videos about law as I can. Jeff can explain why. This is one of my favorites. It is a two part session and is quite long. It is well worth the time if you can escape for a bit.

YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1

YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2

While this has more to do with a 'hardcore' crime it can be related to a traffic stop because everything still applies.

__________________
San Diego Group
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?
 
AustinCJer's Avatar
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,366
I got pulled over when I first moved to Texas, I was on a back road, I was lost, not paying attention... Got pulled over and I was also very polite... I asked the cop if there was any leniency, since I was new to the area, and he said, "Oh, they dont have speed limits where youre from?" So much for being a nice guy... I didnt say another word to him took my ticket and drove away... Once again, hiding behind his badge...
__________________
-Dave

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Personally I think you did the right thing by being nice, even if he wasn't. Sometimes we say stupid things too. I have seen a few tickets get reduced fines when someone goes to court. However, MOST of the time, at least in this area, the Judge says something about considering your case, etc..... I'll let you pay on a payment plan. A HUGE portion of the fees are State mandated fees that cannot be reduced. Like cell phone tickets are $25, but cost about $100 once paid with the fees.

Anyhow, consider he is going to get a minimum 3 hours of overtime to show up and hear you plead your case, really makes him no difference what the outcome inside the courthouse is. Meanwhile you're talking time off work or out of your day etc.....

On a personal note, I got a ticket last July 4th in Nevada. I was speeding, never told the trooper I was a cop until after signing the ticket. I paid the ticket and took traffic school online. Personal outlook on it is, you get caught you pay.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #19
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
I got pulled over when I first moved to Texas, I was on a back road, I was lost, not paying attention... Got pulled over and I was also very polite... I asked the cop if there was any leniency, since I was new to the area, and he said, "Oh, they dont have speed limits where youre from?" So much for being a nice guy... I didnt say another word to him took my ticket and drove away... Once again, hiding behind his badge...
You can call it what you want, but when someone A) Lies to me and says they didn't do what I clearly saw them do, OR B) Asks for leniency, because you do have speed limits where your are from and stop signs all look the same etc.... They get a ticket. And contrary to what Jeebs said, if someone comes right out and admits that what they did was dumb and is at least somewhat apologetic 99% of the time I don't write the ticket. We're not here to punish, but to modify behavior.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
Jeebs
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
And contrary to what Jeebs said, if someone comes right out and admits that what they did was dumb and is at least somewhat apologetic 99% of the time I don't write the ticket. We're not here to punish, but to modify behavior.
I never said that begging didn't work. I simply said I don't do it. There is no guarantee that the officer won't write you if you are apologetic so why admit guilt every time hoping you'll get a sympathetic officer?
__________________
San Diego Group
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #21
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,221
There is no sympathy here in San Diego; they are still trying to pay off the ball park and raise money for a football stadium. A few weeks ago I saw a uniformed officer, not a meter maid, standing by a parking meter with a couple of minutes left on it and after it clicked red, writing a ticket. They are desperate.


As for speeding tickets I have gotten warnings a few times after just being nice and playing stupid. "Sorry, no idea how fast I was going. Whatever you say I guess I was day dreaming".
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
NateWithoutBeer
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
if someone comes right out and admits that what they did was dumb and is at least somewhat apologetic 99% of the time I don't write the ticket.
This is what I've heard from lots of cops and have had the experience myself a few times.

What I've heard from friends' Dads who are cops, though, is that the bike guys are the worst. They are only out there to write tickets and rarely, if ever, let people off.

Actually, what was said to me about them wasn't quite that polite but there may be ladies present...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
So I totalled my 2005 Unlimited about 3 weeks ago, and now that I could find something that I really wanted I decided to go with a YJ. I loved my 04, but I wanted a real jeep
NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #23
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?
 
AustinCJer's Avatar
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
You can call it what you want, but when someone A) Lies to me and says they didn't do what I clearly saw them do, OR B) Asks for leniency, because you do have speed limits where your are from and stop signs all look the same etc.... They get a ticket. And contrary to what Jeebs said, if someone comes right out and admits that what they did was dumb and is at least somewhat apologetic 99% of the time I don't write the ticket. We're not here to punish, but to modify behavior.
I wasnt lying... I told him I was lost, I couldnt find my way back to the highway, I was looking for landmarks, and just lost track of my speed... This was in the middle of no where and the speed limit is 45 MPH. The cops have set up an area where they park their bikes in the brush and then walk out into the road and point you over to the side of the road to give you a ticket. They pulled over 5 people in the time frame it took to write my ticket... If thats not a speed trap to help meet "goal", then I dont know what is. But again, I was nice, didnt deny speeding, 5 over doesnt seem excessive, but whatever...

I did get pulled over in my Jeep recently going to an offroad park. Guy asked if I know why he pulled me over. I said most definitely because I was speeding. I told him with all the hills on that paticular road, my 4-cyl Wrangler on 32's needed as much help as it could get going up the next hill. I told him I was going 5 over at the bottom of the hill to gain momentum and he said he clocked me at 10 over. Wrote me a warning and told me I probably need to change my speedo gear, because "those arent the tires that came on that Jeep" HAHaHAhAhAH, classic.
__________________
-Dave

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #24
SDDAVE
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,659
If your stopped by a Motor, or a Traffic Officer in a Black and White 99.99999% of the time you get a cite. Thats their job.

If your stopped by a Patrol Cop you may get off with a warning.

Chances are the Cop who stops you has allready made his mind up as to what you get.

So who got ya? CHP or SDPD??
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #25
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
I never said that begging didn't work. I simply said I don't do it. There is no guarantee that the officer won't write you if you are apologetic so why admit guilt every time hoping you'll get a sympathetic officer?
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just saying how "I" work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
I wasnt lying....
Keep up with the thread. I never said YOU lied, I said "when someone" that means a person in general.

Point still stands that no matter where YOU live there ARE speed limits, my guess is he was trying to point out the need for you to be more observant. If you can't see a speed limit sign are you gonna see a kid run into the roadway type of thing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #26
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?
 
AustinCJer's Avatar
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Point still stands that no matter where YOU live there ARE speed limits, my guess is he was trying to point out the need for you to be more observant. If you can't see a speed limit sign are you gonna see a kid run into the roadway type of thing.
And my point was that I told the guy I was sorry, told him I was lost, and appologized... God forbid he give they new guy a break. I still had an out of state license and plates... This was seriously out in the country with not a single home in sight. I guess stuff like that just pisses me off, but thats not protecting and serving. Thats meeting a goal or quota, and thats not right.
__________________
-Dave

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #27
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler
 
RikRotorhead's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
And my point was that I told the guy I was sorry, told him I was lost, and appologized... God forbid he give they new guy a break. I still had an out of state license and plates... This was seriously out in the country with not a single home in sight. I guess stuff like that just pisses me off, but thats not protecting and serving. Thats meeting a goal or quota, and thats not right.
Out of state plates!!
That's PC to search your vehicle for contra-ban, run your license, and do a vehicle inspection. You're lucky you got off with just a ticket.
__________________
Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #28
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
blah, blah, blah, thats not protecting and serving. Thats meeting a goal or quota, and thats not right.
I suppose he later came to your work and told you how to do it to right?

Whining about it now doesn't change the facts that you were speeding and got a ticket. You broke the law, You got caught, and then you think the Cop shouldn't do his job because you're the new guy??
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #29
5-90
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA, Hammerspace
Posts: 5,250
1) Buy a copy of the vehicle code about every time you renew your license. It's four or five bucks - and usually money well spent!

2) Check the statute on the ticket. Several municipalities out here are not giving "traffic citations" anymore, they're giving "administrative fines." Why? Because the money for a traffic cite goes to the state first, and they're supposed to give it back to the issuing authority.

They're not.

Ergo, the idea of issuing an administrative fine. Those go directly to the issuing authority.

If it's an admin fine, do not fight it! You may be able to get it lowered, but it will probably also turn into a traffic cite - and that will end up costing you far more.

You see, an admin fine is not a moving violation. Therefore; no points, no report to your insurance carrier, and no rate hike!

Even if it's a CVC listing, look it up! dmv.ca.gov. If it's an admin fine, leave it alone - take it as a "stupid tax," pay it, and drop it. You won't even have to go to traffic school to get it reduced (if you offer, it probably will become a moving violation anyhow...) and you can save that little hole card for if you need it later.
__________________
"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"
5-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #30
FOURWALLYS
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 92
That's good to know. As I said I respect cops and I'm not going to sit there and lie to his face, I was just hoping (praying) for some leniency, didn't get it. Oh well, happens. If you see me on the 15/163 I'll be the guy doing 70 and getting passed on all sides for the next few years [/QUOTE]



Luckily for me, I can pretty much only get it up to 70 anyway, so I don't even look for cops, I just try to make sure I don't fall asleep going so slow.....
__________________
[COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="3"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I have a love/hate relationship with my jeep. I love it, it hates me..........[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
FOURWALLYS is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.