Anza Borrego - Grapevine Canyon Rd/Jasper trail? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Anza Borrego - Grapevine Canyon Rd/Jasper trail?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anza Borrego - Grapevine Canyon Rd/Jasper trail?

San Diego buddies,

Is anyone familiar with Grapevine Canyon Rd and Jasper trail? Is looks like they parallel to each other for much of the route; but Ive read Jasper trail is more challenging (desirable). Is it obvious where to pick up the Jasper trail from Ranchita? Is the trip worth taking?

BTW this is just something to do Saturday morning. We will run Pinyon Mtn trail that afternoon, spend the night somewhere near the Squeeze, then head out Fish Creek Sunday morning.

Cliff

cvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
StvDiego

The Jasper Trail heads into Grapevine, neither is what I would necessarily call challenging (especially for your rig...) although 4WD may be required in certain sections depending on conditions. There are a couple of rock-garden style sections off the side of the trail, all of them are in/out.

It's a fun, scenic route, lots to stop and explore but keep out of the no-trespassing marked sections. There are active, working gold mines in the area and they don't take kindly to strangers. Be sure to close the gate(s) behind you if they are closed when you get there.

If you're going out through Julian and down Banner Grade you can catch Rodriguez Canyon at Banner, follow it (and catch Jasper) over to the S2 and then head up to Pinyon Mt.

The Squeeze/Heart Attack Hill trail can be run in less than an hour. Once you pass the last little climb past HAH and hit Split Rock it's pretty much trail running that will give you a great appreciation for your suspension.

There's a couple of sweet camping spots right before, and just past, The Squeeze. Look off to the areas on the north (left) side of the trail in. You could also camp at Blair Valley, one of my favorite spots, and run Pinyon Mt in the morning.

If you're making a day of it you could easily run Rodriguez, head over to Squeeze/HAH and the head south through Canyon Sin Nombre and mosey over towards Dos Cabezas or go the other direction and take Fish Creek/Split Mt Road towards Ocotillo Wells. Lots of camping spots, there's a nice camp site at the north entrance to Fish Creek and then you could hit some of the in/out canyon trials south of Ocotillo Wells (some of those reach into the challenging territory)

Sounds like your Saturday will be more fun than mine
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Steve,
Thanks for the feedback. We’ll go ahead with the plan to run Jasper/Grapevine; will be some ABSP backcountry I’ve not seen.

I’ve done Rodriguez & Oriflamme before and have stayed at Blair Valley a number of times. I think I met you there about 3 years ago. You were leading a group of 25 – 30 and were camped a couple hundred yards away from my group from Corona/Riverside.

I’ll be tent camping this time and can stay overnight in the real back country. Looking forward to one of those spots by the Squeeze Sat. night.

Again, thanks for the info.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.