Anyone rebuild engines? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Anyone rebuild engines?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone rebuild engines?

I fear that my engine may be nearing the end of its life (from an abusive PO) and that it may be time to rebuild the entire thing. Does anyone do rebuilds locally, inexpensively? Or does anyone know where I can get a rebuilt 2.5l?

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had my engine rebuilt a few years ago at Kenyon Machine. Good guys and they did a nice job. Not cheap to have it done properly though; $1200 for parts and labor but that included new pistons, bearings, cam, valves and all the machine work.

I'm very happy with the result but if I had it to do over again I would probably go with a chevy 4.3 and a 700r4 transmission.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not looking for cheap... So much as inexpensive. $1200 doesn't sound terrible for what is essentially a new engine. That was with a 6 cylinder thought correct? I wonder if a 4 cyl would be less expensive..

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I'm not looking for cheap... So much as inexpensive. $1200 doesn't sound terrible for what is essentially a new engine. That was with a 6 cylinder thought correct? I wonder if a 4 cyl would be less expensive..
That was my thought as well. I had looked into crate engines but for about the same money I felt the result would be better and from a local guy. The 4 cyl would almost certainly be a little cheaper, at least for parts.

That price was for me delivering the engine to them.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If I were to get it rebuilt the engine would be pulled myself. Maybe it would give me a chance to scrub out the inside of the engine compartment.

Unread 12-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
If I were to get it rebuilt the engine would be pulled myself. Maybe it would give me a chance to scrub out the inside of the engine compartment.
You should go find 4.0L heads and parts and buy my 4.2, have its lower half rebuilt, then make a badass stroker.

Just saying.

Why invest in the angry squirrels if youre goal is to escape them.

On a side note, J&J Speed and Automotive was who I was recommended. They are in Poway or the such, 760-215-8504. I decided not to have the engine professionally rebuilt at the time being but they were friendly and had a similar price range for the 6cycl. New everything.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Had mine re-manufactured at motor machine and supply http://www.sandiegoengines.com/ They did a remanufacture vs. rebuild, so it was fairly expensive, but essentially a new engine.
gtg413i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
You should go find 4.0L heads and parts and buy my 4.2, have its lower half rebuilt, then make a badass stroker.

Just saying.

Why invest in the angry squirrels if youre goal is to escape them.

On a side note, J&J Speed and Automotive was who I was recommended. They are in Poway or the such, 760-215-8504. I decided not to have the engine professionally rebuilt at the time being but they were friendly and had a similar price range for the 6cycl. New everything.
It's going to be a lot of work to swap in the engine, not to mention i have to go through all of the BS to legalize the swap.

Unread 06-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
wikun
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I know that this thread is old, but I wanted to throw another guy's hat in the ring. Here is a link to the BBB report. Can't seem to find his website. His shop is old, been around since the early 70's. I had him rebuild my 90 4.0 renix. Great job, military discount, buried in National City, but not too hard to find. Check him out and give him a call. Does all machining in house. Great guy to work with. Alright enough horn tooting.
wikun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
wikun
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, that link didn't post..... http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/busines...ity-ca-1005193

http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/busines...ity-ca-1005193
wikun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.