Another mechanic thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Another mechanic thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
crazyhouse
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Another mechanic thread

Hi all,

I just got a new-to-me 05 TJ a couple of weeks ago.
I got it at a dealer and it seems alright, but I never got it checked out by a mechanic.

Is there someplace that you would recommend for looking over a Jeep to see what sort of shape it's in?
Also, a place (or same place) that could do some installation of bumpers or other things that might require drilling when I get around to doing that sort of thing?

I've tried a bit of searching in the forum and come up with The Auto Doctor in Temecula.
Would that be a good place to start?
I'm in the North County area.

Thanks,

crazyhouse

crazyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think pretty much everyone here does their own work so mechanic recommendations might be hard to come by.

If the fluids are not leaking, are clean and it runs and drives ok I would not worry about having it looked at.

There is a place in Ocean Beach where I know the guys and trust them for general mechanical stuff; Sunset Cliffs Automotive. Ask for Frank and tell him Bolty sent you.

What is your mechanical skill level? If you own a jeep and plan on using it much it gets expensive fast if you have to hire out repairs.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
crazyhouse
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that's what I gathered... that most people do their own work.
I think I'm ok with some things, but not so much with others (drilling, suspension...).

Seems to run fine.
It has an oil leak that I haven't looked into too much. Runs down the back of the oil pan, but doesn't really seem to be coming from the oil pan... above it somewhere.
Out of the ones I looked at, this one leaked the least and appeared to be the cleanest under and all around.

It has the Dana 44 in back which is really clean, it even has the gearing written on it which leads me to think maybe it is a rebuilt one... that and it has rear disc brakes which I thought only came on the Rubicon (mine's a Sport).

I mainly wanted to make sure the front steering was alright, I can feel a little chatter through the wheel, but again, compared to others I drove, it's ok.

Does/did everyone do their own suspension too? I've never touched suspension stuffs.
When it comes time to do that, is a small lift (2-ish inches) pretty straightforward?
Should I take it to a place like 4wheel parts, or a local-type shop?

Thanks for the heads up on Sunset Cliffs, I'll keep them in mind,

crazyhouse
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Easy.

If you are not afraid to dive in there are plenty here who can show you what to do and point and laugh while drinking your beer.

The Supervisor

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
StvDiego

Fear not the lift

So on the D44, look on the front passenger side and see if there is a wire bundle coming out, or evidence that there was at one time a wire bundle there. If there is, it's a Rubi axle. Or, look at the outer side of the axle tube where it meets the backing plates, if it's a smooth transition, it's a TJ, if it has a ring-like bump, it's a Rubi. If the gearing is 4:10 or 11, it's most likely a Rubi, anything less, like 3:73, not a Rubi.

Correct that Rubis had discs, but the WJ rear disc conversion (and several aftermarket kits) is somewhat common.

Oil leak is most likely the valve cover gasket, very common, easy 30 minute fix for under $20. As to shops, 99% of the work you can do yourself. Takes Jeffs invite and bring it over, we can all get together and make fun of the Jeep, and then save you a ton of money by avoiding mods you don't need.

I wouldn't recommend any work at 4WheelParts, nice guys, but.... Auto Doc is very good, he did a lot of work on Rotorhead's Jeep, I've been to his shop a couple of times, he does good work, but, why pay for labor you can do yourself, when you can get by with a little help from your friends

Grab some beer and burritos, stop by and let's take a look and get ya going
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhouse View Post
Hi all,

I just got a new-to-me 05 TJ a couple of weeks ago.
I got it at a dealer and it seems alright, but I never got it checked out by a mechanic.

Is there someplace that you would recommend for looking over a Jeep to see what sort of shape it's in?
Also, a place (or same place) that could do some installation of bumpers or other things that might require drilling when I get around to doing that sort of thing?

I've tried a bit of searching in the forum and come up with The Auto Doctor in Temecula.
Would that be a good place to start?
I'm in the North County area.

Thanks,

crazyhouse
I am in Vista and work from my home/shop, been an auto tech for over 20 years and work on most makes and models (not to keen on European cars though, ugh).

If you need anything done I have good prices and do work as if it were my own vehicle.

-Jason
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
crazyhouse
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So, because the kids are out next week on winter break and I didn't want to be hauling them all around, I got a bit impulsive and went up to the Auto Doctor today only because I had some rocker guards I wanted on and I wasn't up for being the one to put holes in my tub. And they did a "pre-purchase" vehicle inspection even though it's not a pre-purchase.Nice place and a nice guy.

Turns out the rear diff is stock (it has 3.73 gearing), it's just clean (that's what had me wondering). The rest of the Jeep turned out good, also. A few things that need looking into, but nothing that has to be done right now so that's good.

I'll keep you in mind, Jason, for any future impulses I get. And thanks everybody for all the invitations, it definitely helps in making things seem more manageable

Those impulse decisions can get spendy and I'd like to save where I can... yeah, labor can start adding up. The labor plus the rolling a stop sign ticket I just got leaving there could have been put to a lot of beer and burritos.

crazyhouse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.