JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   SanDiego (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/)
-   -   Almost time for Superstition 13 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/almost-time-superstition-13-a-1145300/)

jbolty 12-25-2010 09:56 PM

Almost time for Superstition 13
 
January 15-16, 2011


Here's the link

13th Annual Superstition Mountain Run | San Diego 4 Wheelers


Let's try not to over organize this one.

I have not made a fried turkey since the rotorhead trip last May, so I'll be doing one this time for sure. Aside from that, just planning to be there friday night through sunday.

Getting there is easy; it's only a few miles off the 8.


Who's in?

crqflier 12-25-2010 10:43 PM

How many rigs usually show up for this event? Also, I was looking at the minimum equipment for the Black Cat - must have at least 32" tires. Are they super strict on that? I've got 31" BFG KM2.

StvDiego 12-26-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crqflier (Post 10679271)
How many rigs usually show up for this event? Also, I was looking at the minimum equipment for the Black Cat - must have at least 32" tires. Are they super strict on that? I've got 31" BFG KM2.

There's usually a couple to a few hundred rigs, mostly Jeeps of various and sundry heritage. Last I checked there were 150+- pre-reg'd and there's always a lot more on-site.

They do a tech inspection at registration which they take seriously, safety items are of primary concern. A couple of years ago someone in our group didn't pass because he didn't have a required battery tie-down. If you pass they give you a sticker for your windshield...

In the years I've been going I've never seen anyway turned away from a run for not being at least close to the specs for a particular trail (you must have the tech sticker to line up for their runs and they usually ask at tech what run you want to attend). The main concern is that the rig and driver are capable of safely completing the run and not ruining everyone else's day with an extended recovery, trail repair or trail blockage.

Normally we go out, pay the registration, buy some raffle tickets, shirts and other paraphernalia mainly as a way to donate money to the group and support the sport. Then we go off and do our own thing :p

They generally start their runs between 8-9am, usually about that time we're almost motivated enough to set down the coffee cups. Last year on the Saturday am we waited until the scheduled runs got going and then headed over to play on Sand Dam. 15 minutes after we got going we towed Jimmy's Jeep back to camp while Wymore drove circles around it in his Dodge Ram. :hahaha:

We then hit as many trails as we could. Got back to camp, had an amazing dinner, drank copious amounts of adult beverages, went to the raffle and generally had a great time.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC_0017.jpg

End of the first trail with the Blue Angels overhead

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC_9928.jpg

jbolty 12-26-2010 08:47 AM

This guy, was in line for the easiest trail on the mountain.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95...0/DSC_4961.jpg

he bought it that way and barely knew how to put it in 4wd

mikegyver1 12-26-2010 12:04 PM

Quote "he bought it that way and barely knew how to put it in 4wd"

The Girl or the Toyota? :laugh:

'92 vegas YJ 12-26-2010 06:45 PM

i think my ship is gonna be out from jan 10-14. i hope i come back in time, if so i might head up sat morning and play around til sunday

how are the trails up at superstition?

StvDiego 12-26-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ (Post 10682183)
i think my ship is gonna be out from jan 10-14. i hope i come back in time, if so i might head up sat morning and play around til sunday

how are the trails up at superstition?

Well, BFG placed Black Cat on it's Outstanding Trails in the US list.

The runs/trails are rated 1 (SUV) to 4+ (it's gonna hurt...).

It's some of the best rock crawling in SoCal

Motorep 12-26-2010 11:03 PM

I hate that I'm gonna miss this. I have to attend the Phoenix Supercross that same weekend.

crqflier 12-26-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StvDiego (Post 10679847)
In the years I've been going I've never seen anyway turned away from a run for not being at least close to the specs for a particular trail (you must have the tech sticker to line up for their runs and they usually ask at tech what run you want to attend). The main concern is that the rig and driver are capable of safely completing the run and not ruining everyone else's day with an extended recovery, trail repair or trail blockage.

So the trail I'd like to try is the Black Cat. But I've got 31's. Everything else on the min list I've got plus. Bad idea?

jbolty 12-26-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorep (Post 10683568)
I hate that I'm gonna miss this. I have to attend the Phoenix Supercross that same weekend.

I plan on going back here a lot this coming year. It's not all that far out there and there are tons of trails.

jbolty 12-26-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crqflier (Post 10683636)
So the trail I'd like to try is the Black Cat. But I've got 31's. Everything else on the min list I've got plus. Bad idea?

One way to find out.

Just hang near the back of the line and if it's too much, turn around.


There are about 20 more trails that are not on the list of runs too.

StvDiego 12-26-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crqflier (Post 10683636)
So the trail I'd like to try is the Black Cat. But I've got 31's. Everything else on the min list I've got plus. Bad idea?


Ehhh, there's a few spots where taller tires are a definite plus but I've seen lesser mortals pull it off :laugh:

There's so many trails out there, you could spend all day and not hit half of them. A lot of them start off simple, and then out of the blue you're in a mess. There's a couple we've run where everyone makes it through until 50 feet from the end and then almost everybody has to get strapped or winched.

it's a lot of fun

Oh, and be prepared for wind and cold at night...

Motorep 12-26-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 10683649)
I plan on going back here a lot this coming year. It's not all that far out there and there are tons of trails.

Well, here's my schedule for the next 2 months. If you can schedule something within these constraints I'm game.

Jan. 8th Anaheim I Supercross
Jan. 14th-15th Phoenix Supercross
Jan. 22nd Los Angeles Supercross (I may miss this one)
Feb. 5th Anaheim II Supercross
Feb. 17th-20th Indianapolis Dealer Show

EJames1226 12-27-2010 12:03 AM

Ill be going to this trip.

jbolty 12-27-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJames1226 (Post 10683809)
Ill be going to this trip.

bring pants this time.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95...1/HPIM0922.jpg


The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.