Advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Advice

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #16
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again. Im gonna pull that plug in the morning.

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="5"]Yellow Jeep Club #48[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
RacnJasn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #17
jerseyjeep2003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you have access to a compression tester, check the compression on all 6 cylinders. They should be within about 30 PSI of each other. The last YJ I bought had a blown head gasket into an oil port, the oil was very slightly milky. Of course I knew it had a bad head gasket to begin with, the PO had told me before I bought it. It cost me less than $150 for a head gasket set, oil, filter, antifreeze and tune up stuff.

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/r...e7-6-08105.jpg
jerseyjeep2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #18
default83

are you sure its coming from that spot? or could it be coming from underneath somewhere upward, making it appear at that location?

after i replaced my radiator the water pump went out, it would steam as well making it look like a head gasket, scared the hell out of me.
default83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #19
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Day 2, So I went out to pull the 4th plug its the one next to where I saw the steam. I couldnt figure on how to get the d@mn thing out. I wanted to be sure I ran it for about 5-10 mins and steam is comming out under the valve cover and oil cap. Now its going to have to wait for the new year and tax return. I guess I will tell her I want some new body armor, and seat covers for christmas and birthday
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #20
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJasn View Post
Day 2, So I went out to pull the 4th plug its the one next to where I saw the steam. I couldnt figure on how to get the d@mn thing out. I wanted to be sure I ran it for about 5-10 mins and steam is comming out under the valve cover and oil cap. Now its going to have to wait for the new year and tax return. I guess I will tell her I want some new body armor, and seat covers for christmas and birthday
Yep, head gasket or cracked head. Probably the gasket.
So pull the head, if the gasket is bad (you will see the bad spot), have the head milled (re-surfaced so it is flat again. Do not omit this. You will regret it), install a new gasket (cheap), change oil and filter, add anti-freeze, and prest-o change-o, everything is fine again. But get that radiator fixed because the excessive heat and pressure was what caused the head gasket to blow in the first place.
Nice project for Christmas vacation.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #21
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Radiator has just been ordered. I cant wait to get it running just in time for the rain LOL. I was just looking in a 4 Wheel Parts catalog 499.99 for heads
Unread 01-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #22
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJasn View Post
Radiator has just been ordered. I cant wait to get it running just in time for the rain LOL. I was just looking in a 4 Wheel Parts catalog 499.99 for heads
Unless the head is cracked you don't need a new one, on the Jeep that is. Head gaskets are actually pretty easy to change, but, follow the sling-winger's advice, get the head surfaced. It can easily be done in a weekend.

TJ radiators are notorious for cracking at the seam on the top tank...
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #23
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Unless the head is cracked you don't need a new one, on the Jeep that is. Head gaskets are actually pretty easy to change, but, follow the sling-winger's advice, get the head surfaced. It can easily be done in a weekend.

TJ radiators are notorious for cracking at the seam on the top tank...
Haven't heard that term in a long time!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #24
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
sling-wing Haven't heard that term in a long time!
That's Old School Fixed Wing stuff right thar
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #25
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know I was just looking just in case and to give the wife a "heads up" She actually thought I needed 6 because it is a 6 cyl. Gotta love women like my wife as long as I say it with a straight face she believes me all the time
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #26
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The big box showed up today. I love comming home and there is a package waiting for me. Now I will trying to hook up with my buddy to get it in. Thanks for the lead to radiatorbarn.com ordered Sunday recieved on Wednesday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.