Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Advice

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Advice

Yesterday I put my battery on the trickle charger. It was dead no juice in it at all. My awsome wife is going to get the radiator replaced for me for Christmas. I told all I wanted was the Jeep to run and a full cover.

Fast forward to this morning. I put the battery in, it started up just like it was a brand new one. So I let it run for a bit steam came out of the radiator so I cut it off right away. Then I noticed a little steam comming out by the valve cover. I called my uncle just because he is one of the few guys I trust with any of my cars. He told me to check the oil to see if it was "milky" and it was not.

So Im asking here what am I looking at? New radiator for sure, heads, engine?

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="5"]Yellow Jeep Club #48[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
RacnJasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Has it been sitting for an extended period? Any sign of water in the oil or oil in the water?

Are you sure the radiator is bad? Generally with cooling issues it's a good idea to do everything at once, since it all works together. Radiator, belts, hoses and a good flush.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Like Jeff said, may not have a bad radiator.
If it is coming out near the valve cover, it could be a blown head gasket (cheap), cracked head (little more expensive), a heater hose? Where exactly is it coming from? Front, back, side, top of the head, bottom? Pics help greatly. Even a picture of you pointing at where it came from.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

There is a crack on the top of the radiator. We took it out in August just on a short little drive from Mt Helix to La Jolla. I did the best to get it home. It started over heating on the 8. I turned it off and coasted to Waring Rd. I bought it off a guy who owns The Tire Stop in Mission Valley. The hoses and belts look great.
Unread 12-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I will take pics and put them on my facebook account. But the steam came out right below the oil cap but from under valve cover. There seems to be no sign of water in the oil. Thats what my uncle asked about the "milky" look to the oil. But the oil looks like its normal.

facebook.com/jasonminniear or search Jason Minniear
Unread 12-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJasn View Post
I will take pics and put them on my facebook account. But the steam came out right below the oil cap but from under valve cover. There seems to be no sign of water in the oil. Thats what my uncle asked about the "milky" look to the oil. But the oil looks like its normal.

facebook.com/jasonminniear or search Jason Minniear
no idea how to work facebook. try photobucket.

compression test might be in order
or you can have the oil and/or coolant analyzed
or just swap the radiator and see how it runs. might be just condensation in the block form sitting.
Unread 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I have never used photobucket. I signed up and put the pix on there. Lemme know what you think
Jason
Pictures by racnjasn38 - Photobucket
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJasn View Post
Ok I have never used photobucket. I signed up and put the pix on there. Lemme know what you think
Jason
Pictures by racnjasn38 - Photobucket
Now that you are on Photobucket you can copy the [IMG] tag and paste it here for them to show up in your post.

Also you will need 25 posts before they will show up but do that anyways and someone here can quote you to make them show. Does this make any sense?

Quote my post VVV and you will see what the [IMG] tag looks like.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here I will try and help you out here. These are RacnJasn's pics from his photobucket account.

Where I saw the steam

Belts

Hoses

Oil

Oil

2001 Jeep TJ

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

steam next to the valve cover? Is there any obvious leaking or dampness there?

Or, was steam coming out from the oil cap?

I guess since the radiator is cracked, start there first since that has to be replaced no matter what.
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Steam coming from under the valve cover where you are pointing falls into the "not good" category.
Could mean cracked head or blown head gasket.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, It was right where this screw or bolt is under valve cover.

You guys are awsome. I appreciate the help. I have my unlce to help but he is up in Mira Mesa. In 2007 I lost both of my Parents back to back (Mom in July, Pops in October). I posted before none of my friends are in to Jeeps or things I enjoy but so far I see Cigars, Jeeps, Nascar and Beer are spoken here.

Jason
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about your folks. That can't be fixed, but your Jeep can. No oil in the water? No water in the oil? Head gasket would be the first thing I would look at. If you are seeing steam, that would indicate water is coming out. The weak link would be the head gasket.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
jerseyjeep2003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that would be a not so good spot to have steam. No coolant lines or anything external that could really leak coolant in that area. Try pulling your spark plugs and look at the color of them, usually if a head gasket is blown to the inside (into a cylinder) the offending cylinder/plug will have a rusty to orangish color.

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/r...e7-6-08105.jpg
jerseyjeep2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mt Helix!!!!!!

You're right next to me. Well.....that is, if I ever make it back home. I'm in Rancho San Diego near Cuyamaca College.

We'll have to hook-up sometime neighbor.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.