post #1 of Old 03-04-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
deanfootlong
2002 WJ 

545rfe transmission rebuild in san diego

just pulled my tranny. need to get it rebuilt. anyone got good suggestions to where I can take it for some quality work without getting raped? any Idea what kind of price I'm looking at here? as far as what happened with it:

it started making a grinding noise in first gear. grinding like metal on metal. think of the noise a rock stuck in a brake rotor would sound like. after it shifts to second its fine, no issues. on ocassion it would have a hard time finding frist once I put it in drive. decided to pull it before things got worse and either messed up more parts inside the tranny or left me stranded somewhere. tranny had plenty of fluid and didnt look like metal shavings were in there at all. (tho they could be stuck to the magnet in the pan I suppose.)

post #2 of Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 PM
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanfootlong View Post
just pulled my tranny. need to get it rebuilt. anyone got good suggestions to where I can take it for some quality work without getting raped? any Idea what kind of price I'm looking at here? as far as what happened with it:

it started making a grinding noise in first gear. grinding like metal on metal. think of the noise a rock stuck in a brake rotor would sound like. after it shifts to second its fine, no issues. on ocassion it would have a hard time finding frist once I put it in drive. decided to pull it before things got worse and either messed up more parts inside the tranny or left me stranded somewhere. tranny had plenty of fluid and didnt look like metal shavings were in there at all. (tho they could be stuck to the magnet in the pan I suppose.)
Sounds like you have a bad clutch in first. Try Poway Transmissions. I used to manage their competitor just a block away. They are honest, fair-priced and reliable. Ask for Karen when you call and tell her that Moose sent you.

BTW, they are big off roaders, too.

Happy Trails, Moose KF7ITJ
"The difference between men and boys is the price of their TOYS!"
post #3 of Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I use streamline transmission in lake Elsinore, a drive for you but they do great work at a fair price.