4x4 shop in North County that really knows Wranglers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > 4x4 shop in North County that really knows Wranglers?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 10-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
kev-
2006 TJ Wrangler 

4x4 shop in North County that really knows Wranglers?

I've been asking around some forums to figure out what we need to do to fix this fix-it ticket for fenders and/or mud flaps. Everybody seems to have a different opinion on which tire sizes will rub with different wheel specs.

So, I figure we ought to take it by a shop that really knows for sure before we buy wheels and possibly flares and tires.

Maybe most/all 4x4 shops will know, but I figure it's best to ask who the good guys are.

It's an '06 TJ Sport with 15x10 3-5/8 backspace wheels, 33x12.5x15 tires, and a 2 inch budget lift. (Just in case anybody can tell me for sure!)

kev- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
StvDiego

Welcome to JF

So was the fix-it for the tires sticking out? Do you have factory fenders and flares? Was the cop having a bad day? I digress...

With your lift and tires, 8x15 wheels with 4 to 4.5" of backspacing will tuck 33's under the factory fenders and flares The 10" wide rims tend to make the tires bulge a bit more. So, solutions:

Get rims with more backspacing (the more backspacing the further the wheel sets in). a caution of course is that too much backspacing and the larger tires will rub at full-lock, Expensive solution

Install larger flares, they are available in 4" and 6" widths. Extended flares can be had for $100-$150 delivered. Not a bad solution, I ran them on my TJ with a 4" lift and 35's for a long time.

Borrow a set of smaller tires/rims and get the ticket cleared. Temporary but buys time.

Any of those will deal with the clearance issue.

If you have tire rubbing... Depends on where they are rubbing. If it's in the turning there's several things to do. There are adjustable stops on TJ D30 axles. Is the axle centered? Lifting a TJ can shift the axle to one side and it will rub. A track bar relocater and/or adjustable track bar will fix that.

If you're rubbing on the bottom of the fenders and extended bump stop (cheap and easy) will fix that
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
kev-
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, thanks!

Yeah, it was for the tires sticking out, I guess. It's a bit vague and not specified what's required to fix it. He mentioned rocks being kicked up. The cop was being friendly, I think CHP has been repurposed as a revenue generating agency since the politicians somehow can't manage to keep a budget despite one of the highest state tax rates in the country.

It's not rubbing now as far as I know, but that's with the too-wide wheels and not much backspacing. I've been trying to find out for sure what will rub before we spend money. I did figure out that 4.5" of backspacing on 15x8 would fit under 6" flares - but I'm just going by a tape measure, graph paper drawings, and math, heh. But then, I was told that this setup would rub. Not specified where/how it would rub.

Would adjusting those stops affect the turning radius much?

I don't have any idea if the axle has been centered. I just went out with the tape measure and it seems maybe it's not centered. Looks like the front axle sticks out further on the driver's side a slight amount, like 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I could be wrong, trying to eyeball the fender line-up with a flashlight.

With all this, I've wondered if maybe all it takes to fix is some removable mud flaps? There again, vague legalese.
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

thank me later.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/...ml#post9930537

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/...ml#post9930720
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
kev-
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.