4WD Hardware - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > 4WD Hardware

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
inflatus
1997 ZJ 

4WD Hardware

What kinda of experiences with the El Cajon 4WD Hardware have you had?

I have been there twice and am going to try the Chula Vista one.

My experience was not, well; I will leave it at that.

inflatus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Do you mean 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers? The one here in CV is OK, kinda, depending on the person you get. Hope that helps. Over the last 5-6 years they haven't been to bad overall. I usually call the 1-800 number and have the items shipped there. 1)I get a lot better price 2)The phone sales guys that I have gotten knew what I actually wanted/needed. 3)See #1
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have been doing business with 4WP for several years & can't complain. They price match which can save you some coin.

Micah (sp?) who works at the El Cajon store is usually pretty good.

Like mentioned above, it does make a difference who you speak with. I have been given bogus info before & had to correct a sales guy that was not very knowledgeable with Jeeps.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i had issues with them. i ordered some doors from them and they were missing parts. so they ordered it for me, and then depending who i talked to i would get different stories about where the parts were when they were getting here. so after 2 weeks of waiting i returned them and got a set off craigslist.

i had my shocks done at orw last week and pleased with them so far.
ankyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
inflatus
1997 ZJ 

I guessed that a lot of it has to do with "who" you talk to. I went to the Chula Vista one today and they were awesome. I guess that is the place for me.
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
StvDiego

Remember that they are all first and foremost sales people...

Having said that, Micah at the EC store knows Jeeps and is good to deal with. There is a guy at the CV store, forgot his name. Ryan at the Balboa ORW store is really good with Jeep stuff, mention JF and he'll give you a 10% discount

The main problem with 4WP and ORW is that there's little money to be made in Jeep parts. Jeep stuff tends to sit on the shelf for a long time and inventory that moves slowly is expensive. The profit is all in installs, labor and associated costs.

The majority of those guys can tell you everything you need to know about a 11" lifts for F-250's but will look at you like you just stepped off a spaceship if you ask for a TJ/YJ/XJ/etc part.

I rarely go to either place, usually just for something I want right away, sometimes I get lucky and they have it.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
inflatus
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Remember that they are all first and foremost sales people...

Having said that, Micah at the EC store knows Jeeps and is good to deal with. There is a guy at the CV store, forgot his name. Ryan at the Balboa ORW store is really good with Jeep stuff, mention JF and he'll give you a 10% discount
Thanks for the info. I have only been here in SD for about a year and a half. Just started to shop local. I think it is important to give the local guys money. 4WD and ORW are a little less "local". I may try to expand my shopping horizons.
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

its hit and miss there. depending on who you get determines the service level. i never go there anymore. i dont like to support the evil empire if at all possible. i do my shopping at ORW off balboa. GREAT staff over there. they remember you, which i like, and treat you like a mate. they're also pretty knowledgeable, which is nice.
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
korda
YJ Wrangler 

I'll never spend another nickel with them.

I thought it'd be easy to order a set of rocker guards and corners from them and save on shipping, I even brought them part numbers. I felt like I was buying a used car from a guy in a dark alley. Fast talk, giving me prices that made no sense so I had to ask 3 times to get a straight answer about total costs before they swiped my card. Now that I see people talk about Micah, that was the guy that ordered the parts for me. It took forever for them to get the parts from Gen-Right (like weeks) when the truck from LA was supposed to bring them down in a few days. Every time I called it was a different excuse and it wasn't an issue getting the parts from Gen-Right.

So I gave up on ordering at the store. I ordered something online to pickup at the store and it showed up missing parts that nobody could find. They didn't seem to care much either, I had to have the 1-800 people fix the issue and ship me the missing parts since the store was no help.

ORW seems better. I'll run over there for a fitting, tab or other oddball thing if I need it in a hurry but I haven't ordered any large parts from them.
korda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
NateWithoutBeer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can't speak for El Cajon but I've been to the San Marcos one a few times. The first time I mentioned to the guy that I was waiting on some bumpers from JC Whitney and the guy laughed and told me never to order from them (?). When asked why he said because he could get them faster. When he checked he saw that he couldn't... Generally he just had a pompous attitude.

Every time since then I've gone in there the guys have been very helpful and have been cool about ordering parts or having them shipped over from other stores.
NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
StvDiego

I also understand that both of these places are glorified Kragen's...

I never get anything there I need in a hurry, I plan on them not having anything I need in stock so it's a pleasant surprise when they do, and if I need anything shipped I order myself on-line, always cheaper and faster. They are generally nice people, with, like everywhere else, exceptions. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Part of my evil plan is saving money and hit the Off-Road Expo in Pomona every year, there are great bargains to be had there if you can wait and have cash. Not to mention Craigslist and eBay
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have never really had a horrible experience at any of the large offroad stores, but not really any good ones either. It seem that generally they have no interest in anyone looking to just buy a part or two and anything I want is never in stock. On top of that if they order it in they add shipping.

Just shop on line and out of state to avoid sales tax.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
RacnJasn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had good luck with the El Cajon now Santee 4 wheel parts. Micha is awsome to deal with. I have been dealing with him and only him since 02.I usually dont need anything right now. So I dont mind ordering from them keeps money in the city. If I can find something cheeper with shipping and handling compare to sales tax then I will order it.
[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="5"]Yellow Jeep Club #48[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
RacnJasn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've had good luck with the guys at the san marcos 4wp. i've ordered many things for my old 4runner and my rubi and they always have it in stock and ready, and if they dont, they usually get it in a day o 2
Unread 05-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had a nightmare experience with the store in San Marcos. I'll never step foot in that place again. I called to verify that they price match, explained what I had to support it and went up there. When I arrived they said they couldn't do it and that the ad I had wasn't good enough. I ended up working my way up to to the SoCal regional manager who directed me to the El Cajon store. It was worked out there but you could tell nobody was happy about it.

I won't do business with them again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.