.22LR Owners? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > .22LR Owners?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

.22LR Owners?

I'm looking to get into the .22LR world and am stuck between two rifles. The first is a Ruger 10/22 and the second is a Marlin 795. Anyone have experience with either of these? I've read 10,000 different reviews but always try and look closer to home as well.

Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical Autoloading Rifle

Marlin Model 795

Unread 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Model 60, Marlin Model 60

got it when I was about 15 which would make it pretty old but it has held up well with countless rounds through it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
StvDiego

I had a Marlin 60 for years, indestructible. Still a great rifle. The Marlin 795 is basically the same rifle with a clip rather than the tube feed. My only gripe on the 60, loading the tube. The thing I liked most about the Marlin is that I could buy cheap Winchester green box ammo and run thousands of rounds through it and it never quit.

For playing around I'd go with one of the Marlin, but the Ruger is kinda cool looking, but a "Tactical" 22

I like the Henry Survival 22 for a pack in the back of the Jeep setup.

Have you looked at CZ 22's? Beautiful
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
I had a Marlin 60 for years, indestructible. Still a great rifle. The Marlin 795 is basically the same rifle with a clip rather than the tube feed. My only gripe on the 60, loading the tube. The thing I liked most about the Marlin is that I could buy cheap Winchester green box ammo and run thousands of rounds through it and it never quit.

For playing around I'd go with one of the Marlin, but the Ruger is kinda cool looking, but a "Tactical" 22

I like the Henry Survival 22 for a pack in the back of the Jeep setup.

Have you looked at CZ 22's? Beautiful
Everyone talks about the Marlin 60 too. Everything about it is the same exceot the tube, like you said. I heard the trigger pull sucks on the Marlin out of the box but that is something that can be replaced easily.

I wouldn't get the tactical model. I would get it with a synthetic stock.

The CZs are nice but I prefer a synth stock for this one. It is going to be a shooter not a safe queen.
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
Everyone talks about the Marlin 60 too. Everything about it is the same exceot the tube, like you said. I heard the trigger pull sucks on the Marlin out of the box but that is something that can be replaced easily.

I wouldn't get the tactical model. I would get it with a synthetic stock.

The CZs are nice but I prefer a synth stock for this one. It is going to be a shooter not a safe queen.
You can shoot mine any time. Loading it is a small pain but not so bad unless you are cranking through shots. Mine has a scope on it but it has not been sighted in about 20 years.

The real trophy in my collection is the Marlin bolt action shotgun.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the Ruger 10/22. Great rifle. Rarely jams but clears quickly, and is very accurate.
I like my Charter Arms AR-7 a lot more tho'. It's a great backpack rifle that shoots .22LR as well as shorts. It's very lightweight and waterproof when folded. I keep it in the Jeep for trips as a survival tool. It's really small when all the parts are put back into the stock, and it floats. It's VERY accurate, but then most .22's are. It comes with a 15 round clip that goes in the butt when folded, but I have some "bigger" clips.

I'll have it with me on the Arizona trip if you want to check it out.

More info with specs and pics
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i have 2 ruger 10/22's. one of them is older then me...my first gun actually. i still use it, frequently...that among other ones when i go back home. i personaly LOVE the thing. it seldom if ever jams. ive never once had to make any repairs and i shoot a LOT when i go home and went out shooting all the time when i lived back home. its a good bang for your buck gun and is pretty darn accurate up to a decent range.

just be sure to clean it frequently and you'll be happy
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Went with the Ruger 10/22. I did the paperwork and paid earlier this afternoon. I can pick it up on the 23rd at 3:09PM. Sometimes I hate this state....
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good choice Jason. It's a great rifle. And yeah, the gun laws suck anymore.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I have a Model 60, Marlin Model 60

got it when I was about 15 which would make it pretty old but it has held up well with countless rounds through it.
I REALLY miss my old Marlin M60. It was stolen years ago.

I documented over 170,000 rounds that I had shot thru it.
Joe Dillard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can't go wrong with the 10/22. I've had a few in the past and they're great rifles. However, I think my next rifle will be a Henry lever action. I sold a Winchester 9422 a few years ago and I still kick myself for that.

I did pick up 2 AR-15 lowers yesterday and put a Beretta 92FS on hold. Hate the wait in this state though!
Unread 01-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
TJunk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have 4 10/22's. Great rifles, reliable and simple. My son can disassemble and clean them no problem. They have been around forever!!!

Do you have to wait 10 days to purchase a long gun in California now???

Colorado and Tennessee you can be in and out in 10 mins!
Unread 01-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJunk View Post
I have 4 10/22's. Great rifles, reliable and simple. My son can disassemble and clean them no problem. They have been around forever!!!

Yep, 10 days for a rifle, shotgun, or handgun. You can also only buy one handgun every 30 days. When I lived in South Carolina you could buy as many as you wanted with no waiting period. Heck, you could even buy them at pawn shops!

I sold most of my collection before moving back home to SD because of the stupid gun laws. Now I'm building it back up one gun at a time.
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJunk View Post

California has had a waiting period for some time.

Arizona is the same as many other states. You can be in and out out of a gun store in a matter of minutes. I wish I would have purchased more weapons while living there.
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 10/22 that I have had for 20+ years. It is indestructable. Recently I purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. It is awesome!!

It is about twice the price of a 10/22 but is the same weight and feel of my AR-15 so I get to practice for about one tenth of the ammo cost.
09 GMC(work truck)
Treeslam is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.