16th Annual Superstition Mountain Run - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > 16th Annual Superstition Mountain Run

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #91
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm officially staying untill Sunday, I just checked my schedule today and I'm not working on Sunday the 19th. So what should I bring for food and drinks? I haven't camped in the desert yet so what do you recommend for the night?

TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #92
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

TJ I'd say canned chili or something like that. Something you can dish up over a campfire. The Potluck is forming as we speak so anything you'd like to pitch in would be great. Personally, if I go with a group I like to pick up a couple pounds of carne asada some crema, salsa and tortillas and get er done. Left over tortillas go towards breakfast in the form of egg beaters in the carton and some precooked sausage or chorizo over the fire. By myself (which I do for a few days at a time) I do freeze dried food or the canned thing for dinner, PB&J for lunch, and oatmeal with some instant coffee or something fancy instant for breakfast.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #93
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Cheese crackers and lunch meat work well for trail rides. I'm still working on something I can bring down for dinner Saturday night. Planning on coming down from salton city to meet up like last time everyone was out there. I'll take ideas on what lasts well for 30+ off road miles

IFS WJ dual sport
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-west-coast-style-1172706/[/url]
WJDesertRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #94
mattman998
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We usually just pack sandwich stuff and throw it in the cooler for trail rides. It's nice to have a cold sandwich on a hot trail!

I'm getting a few people together from my group (Creeps 'n' Jeeps.) We'll try and get situated along with you folks. The more the merrier I hope!
mattman998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #95
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I notice no one has offered up alcohol. Is this a party OR WHAT?!
brokenyoujoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #96
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think it was Roberto that mentioned never having camped in the desert, so here's a few things to know.

This location is considered dry camping. There are no facilities, no water, no trees to hide behind and no flush toilets for about 20 miles. Of course since this is a big event SD4wheelers will bring in porto-pots and a dumpster for trash. Any other weekend there you have to remove your own trash and some that others leave behind.

It is federal land controlled by the navy and managed by the BLM; there will almost certainly be Blue Angel training overhead all weekend. Since it's federal, rather than state park land, open fires are permitted. If everyone that says they are coming actually does and brings a couple pieces of wood we'll have fire for days.

There are not many rangers to be seen but there will be a few as well as some Sheriff Deputies and they will write tickets if you draw their attention.

SD4wheelers will post up signs directing you off the freeway; the exit is Dunaway Rd, then left, then right and a few more turns. If you drive 10 or so miles past that exit you will come to Imperial Ave in El Centro. A little way off the freeway there is a Costco and Super Walmart along with numerous other stores and restaurants; from that location it's about 20 miles to the camp site area. The nearest gas station is about 15 miles and it keeps irregular hours

The weather this time of year is normally pretty good and there has seldom been much wind in years past, it can get cold at night though. Down into the mid to low 30s would not be unusual so plan accordingly.

Bring lots of water to drink and enough extra so you can clean up a little; it's really dusty and it may or may not be hot.

As for food, that's a personal matter, but here's what I do. Friday night everyone gets in a different times and mostly after dark so cooking is out. In the past I have either gotten a pizza from Costco or a bag full of Subway sandwiches.

In the morning I have a big coffee maker and can easily make enough for everyone. I have a pretty good stock of cups and supplies in my camper but we seem to be developing a big crowd. I like to make some eggs or pancakes in the morning. I'm not going to offer to feed every person but there is always plenty extra and the pans and stove will be available. I'll pack plenty of egg beaters, tortillas, cheese and salsa.

Lunch on the trail? that's personal too. I just bring a sandwich most times.

We have a turkey ready to hit the fry for Saturday dinner which will be more than enough for everyone. Along with that I'll provide cole slaw and some taco shells for turkey street tacos. In my experience we have way too many people to do a traditional pot luck. If everyone brings something we'll have far too much food and a lot of waste.

Bring whatever you want to drink and ice to last 2-3 days. I'll bring the blender if I have room.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #97
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jbolty, I have an LJ if you run into room issues let me know. I can pack to the gills with a cargo net for the rear end and there isn't a back seat to deal with. Turkey tacos or burritos is a good plan. Salsa, crema, and all that stuff. Not sure on that blender.......sounds like glamping to me. Give me a Coors Light and a comfy chair with some food and I'm good to go. lol
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #98
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

What about the wheeling? There are plenty of options for everyone. We will probably have enough vehicles to break off into a couple of groups.
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #99
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

who's rolling out friday? At about 140 ish miles from SD it would be nice to caravan.
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #100
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
I'm officially staying untill Sunday, I just checked my schedule today and I'm not working on Sunday the 19th. So what should I bring for food and drinks? I haven't camped in the desert yet so what do you recommend for the night?
I would recommend a nice warm woman.
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #101
GOWAD
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I will be going there too, may not camp out there this time I only live 7MI from there ....lol
I just have to get my jeep cleaned from a roll over that I did at super last week.
GOWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #102
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

PARTY AT GOWAD'S HOUSE... or at least $ 2.00 hot shower's.
Unread 01-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #103
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
What about the wheeling? There are plenty of options for everyone. We will probably have enough vehicles to break off into a couple of groups.
Depending on if I can get my lockers up and running.......I think SDMoose has some trails picked out that sounded like fun to m. Of course if they're not fixed by then I still may try a few of em out. I figure there'll be a bypass or I can pick a line to finesse my way through.
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #104
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

This weekend is the final chance to fix all your broken junk. I'll be home, so stop by if you want to fix your stuff, or work on mine. I have a short to-do list of needed items and a never ending list of blue sky projects.

If you have stuff to do come on over.
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #105
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrw600 View Post
I would recommend a nice warm woman.
I'm bringing mine, but, I'm stingey....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.