YJ hardtop revival - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > YJ hardtop revival

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 10-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
CJs95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ hardtop revival

Hey all,
If you are in the same mindset that I was in, your thinking that your hardtop is turning to ****? and it isn't ever going to look good again, or that odd echo in the cab with the hardtop on is a little to strange for you, then I am about to share some tips with you.

My top used to look like the first two pics.

I bought a 15'x6' roll of spearkerbox type carpet to use for a headliner, then removed everything, rust busted and reprinted it all. Then did a rust oleum roll on paint with a special texture roller. All in all cost me only a couple hundred including the paint, seals, carpet, glue, trim, and a wire brush.

The rest of the pics are the result. Hope this inspires some DIY restorations/upgrades!

image-890443168.jpg   image-3231254485.jpg   image-3929998239.jpg   image-825760982.jpg   image-1712524228.jpg  

image-1558733418.jpg   image-396076379.jpg   image-2775655686.jpg   image-1234958886.jpg   image-2240416995.jpg  

Green 95 YJ, A.K.A "Marvin The Martian" or "the Piss Wagon"

|| ,[____],
l---L-([]lllll[])-
() ) () )-o-() )
CJs95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
honda250ex
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice man came out good, hows the carpet holding up.. did you just spray glue it on?
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
CJs95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used the adhesive that was recommended day the website. It is a spray adhesive for upholstery (basically glue). It is holding up nicely. It is more for the winter, so I haven't had it in the hot sun more than a few days at a time. The edges are wrapped with an edge trim so it won't be the where it fails... If it fails.

|| ,[____],
l---L-([]lllll[])-
() ) () )-o-() )
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Kalimba
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That looks awesome, is it a little quieter inside with the headliner? I'm sure it will also keep you warmer in the winter. Thanks for sharing!!!! I'm getting ready to start cleaning up the interior in my YJ, throw some bedliner, restore the ol' hard top, etc...
1988 WRANGLER-5.7L 350 CHEVY-700R4 TRANNY-WAGGY D44 FRONT & REAR-LOCKRIGHT LOCKER FRONT & REAR-2 - M.O.R.E. TRACTION BAR - HELLA RALLYE 4000 55W HID CONVERSION, CUSTOM LIGHT CAGE.- 35" PROCOMP XTERRAIN.
Kalimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
gyrene
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Turned out nice. Great job!
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That turned out real nice! Did you have trouble locating a source for the carpet material?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
CJs95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The carpet is still a bit of an issue. I started turning these out for friends as well and I have yet to find a carpet that will run the full length. Right now the carpet I use runs all but 4inches of the length. It would look even better if I didn't have to splice in those last pieces. If anyone knows of a supplier that can deliver 8x8ft or larger I am all ears.

|| ,[____],
l---L-([]lllll[])-
() ) () )-o-() )
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Turned out nice. The best part of the project appears to be your little buddy in the co-pilot seat with the look that says "Put the damn camera down and let's get on the road. I have some fresh air to sniff".......
Unread 10-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
CJs95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23
Turned out nice. The best part of the project appears to be your little buddy in the co-pilot seat with the look that says "Put the damn camera down and let's get on the road. I have some fresh air to sniff".......
Yup, she loves rides in the jeep. It isa blast watching her bounce around to sniff out the back, the rear sides, and the passenger seat... She knows when the jeep comes out that either she is going to be sitting in it all day as I fix something, or we are going for a ride.

|| ,[____],
l---L-([]lllll[])-
() ) () )-o-() )
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
ldbackdfk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Top looks awesome! Since you guys are on the subject I'm having an issue with mine you guys might can give me some pointers on. I just bought a hardtop for my TJ ( a used one ) and my upper doors don't fit very good at all. The rubber seal rolls out and the doors are hard to close. This is my first hardtop, I've had 3 different jeeps over the years so I really don't know how these tops fit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
ldbackdfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
CJs95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbackdfk
Top looks awesome! Since you guys are on the subject I'm having an issue with mine you guys might can give me some pointers on. I just bought a hardtop for my TJ ( a used one ) and my upper doors don't fit very good at all. The rubber seal rolls out and the doors are hard to close. This is my first hardtop, I've had 3 different jeeps over the years so I really don't know how these tops fit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
There are are couple things you can do....

I don't know if it is the same on a TJ, but as far as I know on a YJ, you can adjust the angle of the windshield to perfectly align with the leading edge of the door. This will also move the top forward or backward. This is done by loosening the bolt on the bars running from the roll bar to the windshield, adjust to fit, then tighten.

As for it being hard to close, the door top could need a little tweak, or bend if you will, if they are used tops.

Could you send pictures depicting the problem? It will help in trying to figure it out.

|| ,[____],
l---L-([]lllll[])-
() ) () )-o-() )
Unread 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
ldbackdfk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. The upper doors are the original I actually have a pair of vinyl uppers and glass. I'm having the same trouble with both. It's fine with the soft top, just doesn't fit well with the hard top. The front edge fits pretty good it's the back where the trouble is. I'll see if there is any adjustments I can do to the windshield. I tried to attach some pics, not sure if it worked.
image-2435071580.jpg   image-2062547825.jpg   image-4001257448.jpg  
ldbackdfk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.