XJ Roof Rust and Paint Prep Help, Pleeez! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

XJ Roof Rust and Paint Prep Help, Pleeez!

I am prepping my son's XJ for paint. It's a 1990, and most of the factory paint is still good. Of course, the clear is flaking on the hood and roof. My plan is to remove the finish wherever necessary, and scuff the finish wherever the paint is still good. Mostly I am scuffing with 80 grit on my DA, and I plan to go over it with the new color. However, the roof needs much more attention. Besides being difficult to reach it all, I am finding several places where surface rust has started and extended underneath the paint. Those areas I am taking down to bare metal. My questions are...

What is the easiest(?) way to remove the finish? I have been using 36 grit on a sander, but it scratches the heck out of everything. And I have tried aircraft stripper, but that doesn't work well either! This is kicking my butt!

Also, I have been applying Ospho to the rusty areas. What do you y'all recommend for rust prep prior to painting? Everything is going to go back in a metal flake bc/cc finish. I don't want the new paint to blow off the roof next year!

Thanks

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-15-2017, 08:46 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

80 grit will not ruin the metal below. You will need to go smoother than 80 to get a nice finish. 280 -360 grit. Any tiny rust pits can be neutralized with a product like rust Mort/Ospho. A quality primer surfacer is next then a top coat.

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Thanks, Ron. I will follow up with 80 grit after the 36 grit on the roof. I will be applying a high-build primer everywhere. Planning to sand to 320 on the primer, then finish coat.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!

post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Before you go all nuts with 36 and 80 grit everywhere, add some finer grits and try some test areas. I suggest only using high build primer where needed. Spend plenty of time removing failed paint and blending in rough paint.

80 grit for rough sanding before bodywork, and for sanding body filler. 180 grit for final sanding and feather edging body filler. 320 grit for final sanding before using primer and also for sanding spot putty.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

I haven't gotten back to the body work yet. We are visiting my son down in south Florida. I will be hitting it pretty hard once we return. The flaking, peeling paint on top of the roof is murderously difficult to remove, hence the aggressive sandpaper. And because I want to be sure I remove everything to inspect for further rust.

Tim, are you saying you would NOT paint the entire car in primer?

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

post #6 of 7 Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

High build primer takes a great deal of extra effort to smooth and blend, I would only use it over repairs, nicks/scratches, and rough spots. Depending on the results you are after, primer is really only necessary over repairs and bare metal. If you feel the needs for 100% primer coverage, use regular primer for areas with that have decent stock paint.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Got ya... thanks.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.