Will metal rust through mill scale? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Will metal rust through mill scale?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Will metal rust through mill scale?

Bought a pair of rock sliders and the website advertised them as coming in raw steel. Got them and painted one with duplicolor bed liner (read up on prep- sanding with 180 grit, cleaning with acetone, etc.).

I think there was mill scale on the metal before I painted them and I don't think the sanding got it all off.

My question is could I strip the bedliner and leave the sliders raw with the mill scale on top? or would the metal rust through that?

Unread 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It will eventually rust through the scale I wouldn't do it leave the bedliner alone.
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hmm.. need to figure out a way to get more/all of the scale off then. That added to the fact that this duplicolor liner sucks.. comes off so easily.
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Use buffered muratic acid to clean off the mill scale. Brush and rinse, compressed air to dry, the a wipe down with wax and grease remover.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Envy-Mur...d_sim_sbs_hi_4
think this would work? or should I just go get the straight acid
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Probably end up cheaper and faster to just go to Home Depot and buy a gallon.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wonder if a grinding disc rubbed over the surface of the metal would work as an alternative. The acid sounds like the best option but requires a lot of precaution stuff that I'm trying to avoid the work for
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sand blasting is inexpensive, and will remove just about anything. Sandblasting removes oil and silicone contamination, and leaves a texted finish that is perfect for paint or other coatings.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
oldcelicaracer

Just go and get a zicronic flap disk for a 4 inch grinder and lightly grind down to bare steel,or u can get some aircraft stripper,this stuff will eat through bondo and should make the scale scrape off

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum
oldcelicaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Going to try the disc grinder first since I already have that. How much would sand blasting cost approximately?
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Call around, I can get an entire axle blasted for $40, a bumper should be less. Spending several hours with a grinder kinda sucks.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Nutz-n-Bolts
1981 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJeepJosh View Post
That added to the fact that this duplicolor liner sucks.. comes off so easily.

Very true. I just used some Herculiner on the bottom of my J10. Works great and is tough. I had bought a gallon of the Duplicolor but returned it when I started reading reviews. ( I read quite a few) Almost no one has great success with Duplicolor. I would totally recommend the Herculiner.

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration
Nutz-n-Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.