where is this rust from and what to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > where is this rust from and what to do?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
crawdaddy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

where is this rust from and what to do?

Hello again,
So the rear of our jeep is starting to rust from the inside it seems. I have seen this area bubbled up on other jeeps as well so I have to ask - where is this rust coming from? Is there a patch for this or make one or use body filler? The left side is starting to bubble as well now.
This are is on the rear , under the tail lights area. http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps3687e757.jpg Thanks in advance!!

crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

It's rusting from the back side , need to fix it quick before its eats your vehicle
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
crawdaddy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That is what I figured - backside but where? Looks common and I don't need it to come back
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I have this too... I would love some info to fix it... I was thinking about sanding it, putting something on it to stop he rust then using warrior steal corner guards to hide the fix.
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
crawdaddy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well I tackled my rust spots the other day. I started grinding until I found good metal. That took a while on the passengers side. There seems to be a hole on each side that must let water in over time to the back sides of the body panels.
I filled the holes and used body filler. If my color match was better you wouldn't have known it was there.
My pictures are too large and im typing this on my phone. Ill put them in photobucket and post the link
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
crawdaddy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. Lets see if t his works
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps3082fceb.jpg
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
crawdaddy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

maybe a better link to some pictures?

The hole on the left had rusted thru. The one on the right is a factory(?) drilled hole that let water in to the back side of the panel.
The driver side had the same hole but had not started rusting as bad...yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.