What's the proper way to repair these 2 CJ areas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > What's the proper way to repair these 2 CJ areas?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

What's the proper way to repair these 2 CJ areas?

I need advice on the correct way to repair these 2 areas. I am a body repair novice, having only done sheet metal work on the inside of the tub in about a dozen places. These 2 areas are on the outside of the tub and aren't flat surfaces, so I don't want to screw them up.

The first picture is under where the windshield hinge mounts, on the side. After I ground out the previous owner's patch, I found body filler and a fiberglass mat. It looks like there is an inner layer of metal behind the stuff I removed. I can weld in new metal, but I fear I will loose the indentation that is part of the factory design. I still need to get in there with the cutoff wheel and make a clean hole, but I need help in the best way to approach this.

The last pictures are the rear passenger corner where I backed into my BBQ pit. I think all I need to do is pound the sheet metal back to round, then prime and paint it. But can anyone give me a detailed procedure here? Don't assume I know what I'm doing, or have any body tools.

thanks!

repair-question-1.jpg   repair-question-2.jpg   repair-question-3.jpg  
Unread Today, 07:31 AM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Bump.

I am still looking for guidance on these. Maybe I need to post wider-angle photos, especially on the top pic, so it's more clear where this area is on the Jeep.

Being an amateur body repair person, I want to get input from more experienced people before I tackle these.
Unread Today, 11:12 AM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Here's how I fixed that area on mine. I used several pieces to build it up. It's on my build thread starting at post #130. See that for all the text that goes with the pics. I did the other side a few pages later in the thread.

I also seen these repair patches over at cj-8.com that you can buy. They aren't profile correct though if that's a concern.

As for the rear end fix. I'd try a hammer and dolly to get it real close, then some filler to get it smooth and plumb.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:27 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Click over to www.powells.com/used and buy a VoTech auto body repair text book. Cut out any rusty metal and weld in patch, hammer and dolly the dents.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.