What would you do? Budget is limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > What would you do? Budget is limited

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
XJ1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What would you do? Budget is limited

The pictures speak for themselves. The paint was coming off the hood so I sanded and primed it with the plan of painting it myself- after trying some different shades of black paint. What I am wondering is: is it worth the price to get the hood painted at a body shop? Is there any low budget way I can fix this?

I only plan on keeping it less than a year or two, and not sure if I could get much more money if I got it painted. It really does bother me though. Are there any tricks you've done such as painting the roof black to match or something.

The paint is also coming off the roof and it has 140,000 miles.

I'm at a loss! What would you do if this was your jeep?? (My budget is around $300.) I'm sure maaco would charge more even with the basic service...

Thanks!

jeeppaintpics-004.jpg   jeeppaintpics-003.jpg   jeeppaintpics-002.jpg  
XJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get a couple cans of color match paint and apply it VERY lightly. Instead of keeping the can away at 6", hold at 12" or 14" and spray in smooth passes. Work it over in a couple of passes and when you get to one end, go back to the top and start again. Wait 20 min for a 3rd coat and continue applying until you are out of paint. It should be pretty smooth that way. If you are really anal, do a really light wet sand between coats (after allowing to to dry fully).

A coat or two of clear will make it look new.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
XJ1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Get a couple cans of color match paint and apply it VERY lightly. Instead of keeping the can away at 6", hold at 12" or 14" and spray in smooth passes. Work it over in a couple of passes and when you get to one end, go back to the top and start again. Wait 20 min for a 3rd coat and continue applying until you are out of paint. It should be pretty smooth that way. If you are really anal, do a really light wet sand between coats (after allowing to to dry fully).

A coat or two of clear will make it look new.
Thanks LuckRider! I have thought about that, I have had trouble verifying the color. Some details I left out- The Jeep had been painted before by some one. The sides, front and back were a slightly different color than the hood and roof (weird I know). I can't find any tags on it to find the paint code. I may just have to buy some of the pen samples to find the exact color.

I mean, I'm not way particular that way- as long as its presentable. Jeep only seemed to have one paint in 1998 for the wrangler and cherokee that was similar to this color- "Gunmetal Pearl Coat". I will probably try that. I found a can online for $20 from automotivetouchup.com

Thanks again for your help!
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That paint does look to be a factory color, and it might be the color listed on the inner door jamb on the drivers door. $20 sounds about right for the paint, but you might want to try a local (mom and pops) auto store. Some mix paint, and they can get it matched for you at a better price. I know there is a PPG retailer near me that has hundreds of cans mixed up.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
XJ1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
That paint does look to be a factory color, and it might be the color listed on the inner door jamb on the drivers door. $20 sounds about right for the paint, but you might want to try a local (mom and pops) auto store. Some mix paint, and they can get it matched for you at a better price. I know there is a PPG retailer near me that has hundreds of cans mixed up.
I will try that. The door jam has nothing on it- it's like they stripped everything when they painted it. There is a tag under the hood with the VIN on it, but I can't find any paint codes.

I will find a shop around here and see what they can do- I've been to Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts and they dont have it. Thanks again
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
XJ1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Update: I went to Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes and they were going to mix me enough paint to do the hood for about $70. However, I don't have a spray gun and he said when they mix them into rattle spray cans, the metallic paints don't come out very well. He gave me a referral and sent me over to Maaco for a quote- $800 to fix the hood and roof (which the paint is peeling on)- no guarantee of a great match or $600 to paint the whole vehicle with a Polyurethane (sp?) single stage comprehensive paint job. I've decided to save my money and just paint the whole thing. Thanks again for your help!
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No problem. You could have painted it yourself for less than $400 with quality supplies (and the cost of a cheap gun), but you would have put time into it. It depends if you are willing to spend the time, or just the money.

I hope it turns out good. Sand and clean any trouble areas. Macco is known for doing ****ty prep work, but spraying well.
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
XJoutlaw

Alot of quality shops will do it for 350 to 450
XJoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.