Vinyl Paint for Seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Vinyl Paint for Seats

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
BillFuller
1999 YJ Wrangler 

Vinyl Paint for Seats

I just bought a 1999 Wrangler Sport and love it. My only dislike is that the backs of the seats are orange (vinyl). The fronts of the seats are cloth grey. I've looked into seat covers but was hoping for a more inexpensive option to cover up the orange. Does anyone have any experience with vinyl paint on seats? How well will it hold up, and any recommendations on brands? I'm wanting to paint the orange sections black. Thanks in advance!

BillFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Had good luck (3 years now in my XJ daily driver) with painting a tan console grey with SEM vinyl plaint (color Coat for plastic, vinyl and carpet)in a rattle can. Even the armrest cover has held ou well. Get a can of their Sand Free (pn-3986)to apply first. Lets the paint "bite"into the vinyl.
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
TexasJeep01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used the duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint, and there is only one problem, if you spray it on cloth, it wont come off. I have covers off in the Texas weather (rain, heat, mud, dirt) and it has held up really well. I sprayed about 3 good layers of black and it looks fantastic. It has only taken a little fade but thats due to my seat belts rubbing it in the wind. People even ask if I bought new seats! Hoped that helped
TexasJeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the SEM
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No question SEM is the best product on the market! Ive used the duplicolor brand in the past and its not scratch/scuff resistant at all. The VHT is a quite bit better than duplicolor and I used it on my roll bar pads(last picture), but they don't get much wear. For anything that has the potential for wear and tear I would definitely use SEM. I recently used it to change my YJ interior from the dull grey that it was from the factory to tan. Just make sure you clean the surface with acetone before you paint, and it should last on the back of seats pretty much forever.

iflypa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Prep is everything. It cannot be stressed enough that the interior parts that will be sprayed must be absolutely clean, and free of any remnant of oils and products like Armor-All. I wash the parts twice with Castrol Super Clean, or an equivalent. I spray it on and let it work for 5 or 10 minutes, then rinse it off well with lots of water.
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
BillFuller
1999 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you, guys!
BillFuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.