very tight soft top????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > very tight soft top?????

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
bword

very tight soft top?????

Im very new to jeeps and never owned any type of convertable either. So a canvas top to me is like

-On my 95 that I just picked up it has a soft top obviously. Im having a hard time getting all the snaps connected right above the doors right now I have a few on there so its not flapping everywhere. Is there a way to make it a bit looser maybe ??

-Also on the back window one of the zippers is frozen from not being used for maybe a year. Is there a way to loosen em up..wd40 maybe??
-Recommended canvas cleaner? Recommend window cleaners mines pretty hard to see threw?

bword is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

Park it out in the sunlight on a warm day. The heat will soften it up to stretch it into place.

For the plastic windows, i've found once you get them clean with soap and water, Pledge works great at polishing out plastic windows.
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

I'd avoid the WD40 so near a window. Clear plastics and oil based cleaners don't go well together. You can check with some upholstery/vinyl/shoe repair shops about jammed zippers. Spray zipper lubricants might be the best chance to get it loose.

Are the windows hard to see through because of scratches? pledge will help a tiny bit but the only fix to heavy scratches is replacement. Try to give em a good wash first, and not removed from the vehicle on the ground. You will just be scratching the opposite side (I see this way too much).

I had the same issue on my 93 YJ with the button snaps. Heating up the top is the easiest way. If that doesn't work you can pull the vinyl, just pull it evenly so you don't rip anything.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
bword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

I'd avoid the WD40 so near a window. Clear plastics and oil based cleaners don't go well together. You can check with some upholstery/vinyl/shoe repair shops about jammed zippers. Spray zipper lubricants might be the best chance to get it loose.

Are the windows hard to see through because of scratches? pledge will help a tiny bit but the only fix to heavy scratches is replacement. Try to give em a good wash first, and not removed from the vehicle on the ground. You will just be scratching the opposite side (I see this way too much).

I had the same issue on my 93 YJ with the button snaps. Heating up the top is the easiest way. If that doesn't work you can pull the vinyl, just pull it evenly so you don't rip anything.
The windows arent really scratched at all just hazy an whatnot ill give that pledge a whirl. Hasnt been really hot yet here in CT but it def will in a few months. I guess having a tight top isnt a bad thing right? Ill prolly try to take the top down in a few days and see how hard it is to put it back up
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
CONNOR_99TJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

i just had this problem with the zippers. go to your local automotive store and pick up some silicone spray, spray the zipper and all around it, it should help loosen up the zipper. hope that helps!
CONNOR_99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
bword

ive learned I cant fold it down too many times, the stichting is already starting to rip...ahh the joys. But sitting on the sun does def help..I was wondering if theres any kind of chemical treatment to keep it from tearing at the seams??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.