Undercoating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Undercoating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
deerslayersh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Undercoating

I'm getting tired of the old, surface-rusted frame underneath. I know most people don't care much about how the underside of their vehicle looks, but I do. So if I were to put it on a lift and clean the underside, what would be the best thing to clean it with to get all the grease off that has been building up for the past 9 years? Is there anything underneath that I might want to avoid painting? Any preparations or tips you guys have for undercoating? I will be doing it rattlecan.

deerslayersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have used the rattle can rubberized paint for plow frames and it worked well, required a bit of work to get the gunk off.

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
deerslayersh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjeepMan View Post
I have used the rattle can rubberized paint for plow frames and it worked well, required a bit of work to get the gunk off.
what did you use to get off the gunk? a good wire brush and some soap? I'm trying to find a product that would clean it up... Engine degreaser?
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like break clean or the foaming engine degreaser. If there is a thick build up of gunk a putty knife might do the trick for you and then use a wire brush on an angle grinder or electric drill. It's a bit time consuming, but definitely worth the work if you do it right the first time!

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
deerslayersh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjeepMan View Post
I like break clean or the foaming engine degreaser. If there is a thick build up of gunk a putty knife might do the trick for you and then use a wire brush on an angle grinder or electric drill. It's a bit time consuming, but definitely worth the work if you do it right the first time!
okay. sounds like a plan. looks like i will need to set aside a few hours to get it done and be VERY patient. Thanks for your help!
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

no worries man! that's what we are here for, just be sure to help someone else when you can!!! it's like those commercials..."pass it on!"

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Unread 04-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If it's not too late, I would recomend coating with POR-15 (even though this is a roll-on application vs. a rattle-can application)...

POR-15-POR-15 Inc.
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
deerslayersh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

not too late. do you think it could be put in a sprayer?
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
BULLITTBUilder
1999 WJ 

por 15 is not actually an undercoating, it can be used in a "direct contact" application though. As far as undercoating a good all purpose system is Rustfre Undercoating $ 15 bucks per gallon and it ran me about 70 for the gun. I laid a nice generous coat on my CJ and still have most of the gallon left. Keep in mind if you have rust that needs to be treated.
As was said earlier POR 15 is the best thing to start with. I went overboard and applied 3 coats of POR 15, 4 coats of PPG NCP primer (corrosion resistant) and then the undercoating. If you were to simply undercoat over the rust, it would serve no purpose since the rust would still spread. Oh and one other word of caution, Don't use any chemical rust inhibitors or evaporust or anything like that as it will only serve to prevent proper adhesion of the POR 15 I totally hear you on the undercoat mentality. It looks clean and it's protected hope that helps
BULLITTBUilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayersh View Post
I'm getting tired of the old, surface-rusted frame underneath. I know most people don't care much about how the underside of their vehicle looks, but I do. So if I were to put it on a lift and clean the underside, what would be the best thing to clean it with to get all the grease off that has been building up for the past 9 years? Is there anything underneath that I might want to avoid painting? Any preparations or tips you guys have for undercoating? I will be doing it rattlecan.
X2...

I'm so tired of how the car looks underneath that I'm looking into options to clean it and painted but the key here is metal preparation. I’m thinking to get my car power washer underneath to get most of the oil/gunk possible then used one of the metal preparation solutions but I haven’t decide wish one to use. None of the products in the market comes cheap though. I don’t believe in rattle can products for this purpose. I think the solution is cleaning everything with a wire brush, sand paper and chemical and then apply the primer and top coat. Anyway; here are some of the products in the market.
BTW al prices are base on a gallon.

POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks

Metal ready…………………………..$ 31.75
POR15…………………………………….$143.00

Rust Inhibitor Paint | Stop Rust | Rust Corrosion Inhibitor | Rust Converter

Metal Blast…………………………………$ 36.99
Rust Bullet…………………………………$142.99
BlackShell UV……………………………..$164.99

WWW.CCAPKBS.COM

Aqua Clean………………………………$ 21.00
Rust Blast………………………………..$ 31.00
Blacktop Chassis Coater………...$ 152.00

EASTWOOD

Pre (Metal Prep)……………………..$ 35.99
Rust Converter……………..…………$ 69.88
Rust Encapsulator…………………...$129.99
Extreme Chassis Black……(1 Q)..$ 28.04
GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.