Traditional or Hardline? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Traditional or Hardline?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Traditional or Hardline?

Since warmer weather is around the corner, I'm thinking about painting my XJ. I'm trying to decide: should I go with traditional paint (2 stage) or should I hard line (monsta, raptor, etc)?

What are the pluses and minuses to each? My jeep is more overland than trails, but I do plan to hit my local parks this year
Thanks for you're input!

Unread 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
Since warmer weather is around the corner, I'm thinking about painting my XJ. I'm trying to decide: should I go with traditional paint (2 stage) or should I hard line (monsta, raptor, etc)?

What are the pluses and minuses to each? My jeep is more overland than trails, but I do plan to hit my local parks this year
Thanks for you're input!
I would recommend single stage if not metallic. Two stage if metallic. If it's ease you are going for, then Raptor would be your friend. It would kill resale value. But if you plan to keep it and wheel, why not.

This is good stuff.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd18.aspx

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpehar View Post
I would recommend single stage if not metallic. Two stage if metallic. If it's ease you are going for, then Raptor would be your friend. It would kill resale value. But if you plan to keep it and wheel, why not.

This is good stuff.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd18.aspx
I have used Raptor in the past when I had a hard top YJ. The raptor was easy to use and looked fantastic after it was sprayed. It had an orange peel like "finish", which wasnt very aggressive (plus), but I hear that it doesnt flex well (minus). I have heard good things about monstaliner, but havent used it. I have a quart of it, but went a different direction on the project I was going to use it for so it's still untested/proven by me.

Where I do wheel has low lying branches. After I painted my YJ (single stage acrylic enamel), the first time I took it out, it scratched the paint deep enough that I couldnt buff it out (as the single stage clear was so thin...). This led me to say I would hard line my next jeep so I never had to worry about it.

However, I have heard several negatives about using hard liner for the entire exterior. Hard to clean, doesn't flex well, if you "chip" it it's hard to replace...just to name a few. Going with a traditional two stage paint means I could lay on the clear and buff out any scratches for awhile...but this isn't a permanent solution.

Ultimately, I'd like to hear peoples experiences with using hard line for an entire vehicle. I have also thought of doing a half-half set up. Such as hardlining the lower parts of the vehicle, etc. However, my experience on the trail was that my hood suffered the brunt of most scraps from brush/branches.

Of course, I just want to do it once and not have to paint it again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.