Touch-up paint tips?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Touch-up paint tips??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Edinadad
2006 WK 

Touch-up paint tips??

We just got our second Jeep, a 2006 WK. And to be expected, there are some chips in the paints.

In order to do it properly, I would like some guidance. Should I fill in the deeper chips with some glazing putty?

Do I need to apply clear coat on top of the touch-ups?

I got the little bottle of touch-up paint from the parts store and the color match is quite good. Thankfully.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Dan

Edinadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Kochanski

slightly overfill the chips with paint, use a rubbing compound to knock the edge off leaving the paint only in the chip clear and repeat plus polish
Kochanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochanski View Post
slightly overfill the chips with paint, use a rubbing compound to knock the edge off leaving the paint only in the chip clear and repeat plus polish
I learned a trick from a good ol boy years ago. Drag a new razor blade over the paint in the opposite direction of the blade (don't slice it off, drag it off). With the perfect amount of pressure it will take the edges off and then you can buff it out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.