Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Torx bolts removal on '92 Wrangler (for paint)

765 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Stokes_ 
#1 ·
Having a hell of a time with these things, going to have to fully drill out all but 5, screw extractors are useless. Any tips on durable drill bits that last longer and drill better? Spending $7 every other day on cobalt bits and it's starting to add up.

-Shaun

#2 ·
Just plug weld a regular but to the top and use a regular socket to remove. if no welder see if a friend has a little buzz box welder and pay him to tack them as you remove them. That's about the best way to go about removing the torx bits. The guy who designed them, Should have been kicked in the face with a golf shoe.
Buy a cheap bench grinder and sharpen the bits you have, Im sure you have spent that amount by now as the same price as a harbor fright bench or angle grinder. Good luck

#3 ·
Having a hell of a time with these things, going to have to fully drill out all but 5, screw extractors are useless. Any tips on durable drill bits that last longer and drill better? Spending $7 every other day on cobalt bits and it's starting to add up.

-Shaun
A quality cobalt bit wont go dull that quick if used correctly. A good cutting oil will help out a lot. Heat will also work if you haven't stripped them. I only had to use heat on one of my torx bolts but I soaked all of them with PB blaster for a couple days.

#4 ·
KKiowaTJ said:
Just plug weld a regular but to the top and use a regular socket to remove. if no welder see if a friend has a little buzz box welder and pay him to tack them as you remove them. That's about the best way to go about removing the torx bits. The guy who designed them, Should have been kicked in the face with a golf shoe. Buy a cheap bench grinder and sharpen the bits you have, Im sure you have spent that amount by now as the same price as a harbor fright bench or angle grinder. Good luck
That's a great idea, think I'll try that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.