Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TJ door painting, doing tomorrow

931 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Xtremjeep 
#1 ·
i will be painting my hard doors for my tj, they are currently white and im going to go to patriot blue.

steps:
tear down
sanding
priming
color
clear
sanding

i do have a fiew questions before i dive into this:

2) after sanding white what should i sand to (grit) before priming?

3) after priming what should i sand to before color?

4) how many coats of color should i use, should i sand between coats, and do i sand to before clear.

this will help alot, and ill get pictures of tomorrow.

#2 ·
Bump painting half doors in March. I have done some research, but would still like conformation.

It is something like 300-600 before priming.
Then 3-5 coats light primer.
5-10 min dry time between.
1000 grit wet sand.
Basecoat 10 flash between
1500 wet sand.
clear coat.

It is a rough idea i have seen from conflicting painters on the web.

Pictures and types of paints recommended would be good too.

#3 ·
Really hard to give you an answer to this. It all depends on the weather, temp, type of gun using, brand of primer, paint, and clear. In general, 600 grit before primer, smoother it is the more shiny it will turn out. Read primer label before wet sanding before color for topcoat. 3 coats of primer is plenty, again depends on brand. Wet sand 1000 3-5 coats of color, first coat a tack coat. Read can before clearing. Really no need to wet sand before clear, but you can. If topcoated within brands time line no wet sanding. Clear 3 coats, first coat a tack coat. To get high gloss, wet sand after clear (read can) a couple days after and buff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.