Tired of my stinky wet carpet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Tired of my stinky wet carpet

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIntroducing the Quart Crate...JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 07-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

Tired of my stinky wet carpet

That's it. I'm pulling the stinky wet carpet. Damn doors leak, dealer can't get it solved. My bestop superdoors aren't really super (but I still like them). Always wet w rain. I'm pulling the carpet, but not sure if I should just keep factory interior tub paint, or line it. I've heard of a few like herculinor, rhino liner, loneX, others. Anyone want to chime in on stock paint or liner choice and pros/ cons. Rhx

(0|||||||0)

Jrdchiropractic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Toby36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

bedliner no matter which brand is hard to keep clean and always looks dirty i did it in my last jeep and would never do it again. iwould keep stock color it woud b a lot easier to clean
Toby36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would cover it up with something tough. Paint will be scratched off eventually and it will just be bare metal which means rust (at least it does by me).
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby36 View Post
bedliner no matter which brand is hard to keep clean and always looks dirty i did it in my last jeep and would never do it again. iwould keep stock color it woud b a lot easier to clean
^ this^

Paint is easy to clean. I took the carpet out almost new. I run the soft doors too. they leak, since 1941. Jeeps should never come with carpet. If I could have ordered ours when I did with that deleted. I would have.

almost two years of wheeling on this Jeep and the stock painted inside is holding well. If it needs a bit of touch up. That is wht they made rattle cans for.

Things here wont rust in a life time enough to even worry about it.
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You live in Jersey...i would most definetely coat it with a tough bedliner with all the salt and chemicals on the road in that state.
Any of the non DIY Spray on bedliners like Rhino and Line-X will have a rough texture and yes will be hard to keep real pretty,but..they will be the toughest of all and last the longest because of how thick it is,along with a hefty price tag.......

Out of any of the DIY liners,i'd go with Monstaliner for the interior,for one,it's very tough..UV resistant so it won't fade AND you can use a smooth roller and it will lay almost smooth with no pockets for easy cleaning.

I have their color samples and none of it has the rough texture that pocket dirts and water,its more of a fine wavy coating,plus,i can fold the samples in half and it never cracks or peels,very flexible and tough.

I will be putting Monstaliner in my tub when i do the complete tear down and Redo and roll it as smooth as possible...I've coated mine over and over and over with sanding and rattle can paints and it still goes to bare metel in a short time with all the dirt and sand on our feet and under the floor mats i have.

If you never use it off road,you might be OK without a liner as long as you clean the Road salt out in the winter quite often

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

(0|||||||0)

So I pulled the front carpet. Drained the tub. The carpets are completely waterlogged. Holding them up, they drained water for over 3 minutes. Now I see rust around the drivers side drainage hole. Thanks Jeep for fixing my door leak the 3 times I brought it. I can clean the rust and spray the area around it, but what about the underside?
Jrdchiropractic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
phil8825
1986 CJ7 

I had the tub and roll bar of my CJ done with line-x. Have no complaints, looks awesome. So far Ive had no problems keeping it clean but then again not much weather to deal with in sunny florida besides some rain here and there.

I can definitely see how salt or dirt/mud would be harder to get out than on a smooth surface.

Either way beats carpet by a long shot
phil8825 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.