tiny chips around the hood area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > tiny chips around the hood area

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 05-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

tiny chips around the hood area

Does anyone else have smal chip marks from rock and debris from highway driving?

I thought about getting some touch up paint but the spots have rust and didn't know if it would be fine to just paint over that then wax that area. These are very small chips but bothers the junk out of me when washing the heep.

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
gtome

If it is contained to a certain area, you can sand say the whole hood with 600 grit. Then just put a couple coats of high build primer over the chipped area (and blend it into the rest of the panel) Sand it down and sand to blend area (400 wet would work well). Wipe it all off and check your work. Then hit the whole thing with 600 again. Once your happy with the work, you can spray the paint, either just blend it in, or paint the whole panel. Clear the whole panel either way.

I know this seems difficult, but really it isnt.

Also if you dont want to have it happen it again, they make a 3M film that can be used to cover and protect the new paint.

Oh and also dont wax new paint for 90 days.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.