Thoughts on epoxy primer in a spray can? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Thoughts on epoxy primer in a spray can?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
LJCRAWLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thoughts on epoxy primer in a spray can?

I'm about done with welding in patches and what not so I'm getting ready for body filler and paint. I've heard good things about epoxy primer and its ability to protect against rust. Has anyone tried using the epoxy primer in spray cans? I'm just wondering how well it works.

LJCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
ramjett
1970 CJ5 

It will work fine ,but its only for small spots. Anymore would be abuse of the product.
ramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
LJCRAWLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ah we'll I need to have the whole jeep done. Should I use body filler directly onto the bare metal then hit the other bare metal that doesn't need filler with self etching primer? Then high build primer on top of that?
LJCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like to have epoxy under all. I let it dry a couple days before filling dents. That is because I live a high rust zone.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ive done the expoxy under all and it has worked well.
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
ramjett
1970 CJ5 

Either is fine I prefer to grind and clean complety and then etch or epoxy ,prime and paint. The epoxy layer tends to add orange peel and can cause some shrinking . Etch,sealer paint ,clear Equals smooth paint job. Less buffing is good
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it's not the Epoxy Paint can from an auto body supply store that is designed to mix the 2 part epoxy as it sprays,then it's not a true epoxy primer....

Those advertised Epoxy rattle can paints and primers are not true epoxy..true epoxy primers have to be mixed right before spraying......

Etching primer is old news..epoxy is the top dog for the fact the good epoxy primers have an etching ability and outlasts and will be compatible with just about anything.........

It doesn;t matter what primer you spray,you can lay it down without orange peel..the more you reduce an epoxy primer the better it lays..add 20% or more reducer and it makes it a sealer and lays just as good as any top coat...

That's all i use anymore..do the body work and then lay a smooth epoxy sealer on and then do all my top coats right over that,most of the time with no sanding as long as i am still within the recoat window for a chemical bond,which is best

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
ramjett
1970 CJ5 

Etch ,is far from old news ,and epoxy has been around for a long long time . 70s or so. I over reduce it as well. That howerever voids the factory lifetime warranty. I've done it both ways ,more times than I can remember. It works well either way if done correctly . It's a simple job so do with how you will I'm sure it will be fine. Take your time ask the paint supplier for the correct steps for whichever you choose. Follow closely and you can do a quality job on your own . Good luck. Jett.
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

If it is protection you want... I would check into some industrial epoxy coatings that aren't filled with inert fillers. These products are high solids and if thinned properly, wet out the steel and have good adhesion. There are many small specialty coatings companies that will sell you a 2/1 or 4/1 kit that is used on pipeline or rail or truck use that when applied provides excellent results.

Just a thought though. And I agree, epoxies have been around forever but they have because they are good. Just make sure to read the spec sheets and don't let them set up in the lines or you will be buying all new lines and guns.
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any automotive Epoxy Primer i've used has on their tech sheets to reduce 20% to make it a sealer,that doesn't effect the warranty at all.......

Industrial epoxies have been around since the 60's.....They didn't start producing and marketing automotive epoxy primers untill late 80's and 90's...

My point in etching primers being old news is epoxy primers have an etching quality to it too but has much better adhesion and durability than etching Primers and over the years epoxy primers have proven better than etching primers and the same price range,so i never see any use for the old etching primers anymore...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJCRAWLER View Post
I'm about done with welding in patches and what not so I'm getting ready for body filler and paint. I've heard good things about epoxy primer and its ability to protect against rust. Has anyone tried using the epoxy primer in spray cans? I'm just wondering how well it works.
The primer in a can does Its job by protecting against rust but it tends to run easily and its easy to over spray i have little grey specs where i didn't want them i held the can back away from the sanded spot to prevent it from running again it didnt run but now there is over spray on my quarter panel.but that was the first time a used a caned primer hopefully that was just some cheap primer cuz it is handy for touch ups i wouldn't try to primer an entire car with it though..thats why we have paint guns
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.