For those that painted their Jeeps, ? abount hinges. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > For those that painted their Jeeps, ? abount hinges.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 05-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
KnacK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

For those that painted their Jeeps, ? abount hinges.

For those that painted their own Jeeps, did you leave the door and hood hinges on when you painted them or did you remove them and paint the doors and hood separate?

If you did paint them separate, I guess that you sprayed them while they were flat.

Any additional prep or hints for doing hinges either on or off the Jeep?

Thanks.

4.2L Auto 190k miles
3" Body Lift, Rancho Shocks, 31" Wranglers
Sagging springs
Bald tires
Blown tranny
Dead 4.2
Empty wallet
KnacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
YJDave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

*I'm still in the process of prep work*

I am taking all my hinges off. If I had the money I would just buy all new Kentrol Black Stainless hinges and be done with it.

My most rusted areas were under my windshield hinges. I have been sand blasting all my small parts and repainting them black. I am probably going to try soaking all my hinges in stripper to get the paint off and then sandblast the very rusty areas.

I'm also replacing all my bolts and nuts with the stainless body kit that I bought from quadratec.
YJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
57plymouth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I left mine on. I figured it would be more difficult to put them back on without messing them up than to just leave them and spend a few extra minutes during prep cleaning them up.
Unread 05-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought kendrol stainless, hit them with media to dull them up, then put them on and layed my paint. Must have done something wrong (thinking it was the primer) the paint is peeling off on the stainless parts. It was much easier than painting them then installing though. I will eventually pull them off and just blast them again and reinstall them later.
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
bucknoff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dismantled the whole thing, and bought all new stainless. It is a project that's for sure. The windshield hinge is the worse. The lower hinge to body has locknuts on the inside that need a socket and there simply is no room, the huge magnet on the speaker doesn't help the matter. Reinstalling was a breeze, just use never sieze. Have fun!

Newest addition: 09 JK UNLIMITED OIIIIIIO
Proud member of [COLOR="Red"]JEEPAHOLICS ANONYMOUS[/COLOR]
bucknoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I took my doors, hood, and windshield frame off the hinges when I painted them and really regretted it. The paint under the hinges got all ****ed up when I tried to tighten everything down.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
shootr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hinges

I'm in the process of painting my TJ denim black, I'm powder coating all door, hood and windshield hinges gloss black. I'm worried about alignment issue when I reinstall....
shootr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

I left all f the hinges on a when I painted my jeep. I also left the doors on the jeep and the windeshield bolted and tail gate. The only part that was off was the hood. I have some pictures of mine in the process if you want to see them.
Unread 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
CoryA
1984 CJ7 

Personally I would take them off, it seems like rust just loves to hide under the hinges

it's a pita to get them aligned again so the doors close right but I think it's worth the effort
CoryA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
gtome

I think you can get the very best results by taking everything apart before painting. BUT..... there are alignment issues, and if your bolts also get painted, then they get all jacked up, and you run the risk of damaging them from moving and assmbel, and what not.

Here is another way you can do it to make it look good and not jack it all up.

First when the jeep is all together, check your gaps. Make any changes to doors or whatever before you do anything.

Something I like to do before taking off any major hinge is to drill a hole through it and what it bolts to. That way when I go to reassemble, I can put a nail or whatever in the hole(s) to get me real close to being lined up (a little dab of filler will fix the drilled hole).

Ok now tear it down and prep the whole thing for primer.

Then spray your primer overall, and once that is dry spray a guide coat on (black spray paint is fine)

Then prep and paint whatever needs on the interior, and the door jambs, inside part off the doors and hood...you get the picture. I usually do that before I even begin to block the outside of the car at all.

Once the jambs are painted, cleared, and dry, I mask all that off. Now if you do it this way, you will have to buy tape called "smooth transition tape". This will make it so you dont have any hard lines in the paint. No biggy!

After masking, you can put it all back together, get it lined up well, and finish painting the exterior.

Also I would recommend "Rust Bullet" under the hinges and the backside of the panels. And be sure that you mask off EVERYTHING that you dont want paint on.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've been thinking about jams and hinges for my XJ. I'm considering popping the hood, cleaning/preping the hinges, and edge of the hood. Then just tape off the engine bay and paint the jam's, edges, and hinges. Once it's dry, close the hood and paint the rest of the hood. I plan on using this method for all jams/joints/hinges.

I feel the best way would be to remove and paint, but for a no show quality paint job on an XJ. I'm sure it's fine.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
gtome

Yeah it would be fine, just be careful because even after the paint is dry, it will be soft for a couple days. And where most go wrong is in the tapeing. If you dont tape it off properly, you WILL get overspray down in the jambs, and that looks like crap. Hard tape lines looks like crap too.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door , hinges , hood , paint , prep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.