Thinking About a New Color - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Thinking About a New Color

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Joeee_st14
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking About a New Color

i currently have a dark metallic blue paint job on my 02 tj and was in an acident and have to replace some body parts... which i am still looking for a good price on those but i was thinking of going to a much lighter even baby blue metallic paint i am doing all the body work myself and i was wondering how labor intensive would it be to repaint the whole jeep myself i have a nice place to do it and have some experience working with a paint gun but not with metallic paint or on cars so let me know youre input and also if you have any places to find some body parts besides the junk yards.

Joeee_st14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
leaSe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

quadratec.. the magazine. mite be pricey;but thats about the only place i know rather than a junk yard or dealership.. worth checking out the mag.. and i don't know bout the painting; i want to paint mine green.
Unread 05-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of labor to do it right. But if you've the time and inclination I don't see why you can't do it. Metallic paint is finicky, it has to be sprayed properly to lay down right and look good. Practice on some junkyard (doesn't have to be from a Jeep) hoods/doors etc till you are confident you can do a good job. Otherwise stick to a non metallic, and still you should practice.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Joeee_st14
2002 TJ Wrangler 

now if i lay down a couple of layers and have blemishes can i take them out with color sanding or is that not supposed to be done with metallic paints
Joeee_st14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
BULLITTBUilder
1999 WJ 

You can't color rub any metallics, pearls, etc. only solid colors can be color rubbed but frankly I don't see the point with todays basecoats. Your bodywork should be damn near perfect before you lay down any base anyway. THe time to correct any blemishes is while you are priming. If nothing else you can always lay down a dust coat to point out anything you may have missed. Not to sound negative or anything but you may want to reconsider your paint choice. Light metallics will amplify any blemishes in your bodywork. I'm actually doing such a color on my CJ7. It's called Azzurro California Metallic. It's a 2004 Ferrari color. Eye popping gorgeous from any angle in any light. THe Jeep was a total rusty piece of **** ready for the heap before I bought her. But again you will have to spend more time in the body work than in the actual spraying of the Jeep. Light metallics like that are absolutely unforgiving. Ask if you have more questions. I don't mean to sound like a deterrent, but you should know the characteristics of the materials you want to work with. We all have to start somewhere. Good Luck
BULLITTBUilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^X2

If everything is not 100% before you shoot, Its a total loss and waste of money. I sprayed a jeep one day and the hood and doors the next, Same everything, Booth and all. But there was more humidity that day than previous and the metallic sprayed a different way and looked night and day different. Only fix was to start over from scratch, Double everything.
Like bullitt said, Not making it sound bad, Just letting you know the truth that will happen and if not done right. Do it correct the first time so there is no second. Good luck with whatever color you choose
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
mattyrayb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm repainting mine right now.
Started out about 3-4 different colors and found a metallic sapphie blue I liked. After I finished spraying it looks more purple to me than blue. Maybe it's because I used black primer???
Anyway, I didn't think the metallic was that hard to spray, but then again I don't have any preface since this is my first paint job.
I will second or third the notion that bodywork is key. I patched up a copy spots and even though I sanded them to what I thought was smooth they still are noticeable. Luckily the tire carrier will cover some and rocker guards will cover the rest.
mattyrayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
mattyrayb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, I got my paint from paintforcars.com
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
gtome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyrayb View Post
Oh, I got my paint from paintforcars.com
Got any pics of that? I have been looking at their paint for a while and thinking of grabbing some to try. The colors all look great. I would like to see the finished product though. Whip it out!!
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
mattyrayb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Painted the dash and rollbar pads with black vinyl/fabric spray and going to be making seat covers soon.

Before

After

Unread 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Hemi08
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the rescue green and the silver Jeep puts out. But I would like to see the baby blue you're talking about.
Hemi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
gtome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi08 View Post
I like the rescue green and the silver Jeep puts out. But I would like to see the baby blue you're talking about.
Maybe I missed it, but I didnt see anyone talking about baby blue??
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.