Thick Roll-On Paint Finish? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Thick Roll-On Paint Finish?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Ciaran2903
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R View Post
BTW - I used one quart and about a quarter of a second.
I liked this so much that I did it myself. I finished my second coat this morning. I have a quick question though: My YJ is not my DD, but my DD just broke down today. You mention the paint takes 1 month to cure. How long would it take until it is safe to drive? 1 month?
I was planning on leaving it in the garage for a month, but now it looks like I will need it soon. Any ideas on time to drivability?

Ciaran2903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

You can drive it, no harm. Just have to wait for it to cure before you can wax it if that is what you want to do.

How'd it turn out?
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
Ciaran2903
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R
You can drive it, no harm. Just have to wait for it to cure before you can wax it if that is what you want to do.

How'd it turn out?
It looks pretty good!! Unfortunately the issues with my DD forced me to rush and finish earlier, but it looks way better than red fenders, blue tub, matte black doors, and black windshield frame!

There are a couple of runs and the hood shows some roller marks, but I will sort them out in the spring when I have more time (and hopefully my DD!)

I take it wet sanding is the way to go to even out the paint?

P.s. thanks for the write up!!!
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Not sure what you mean by evening out paint. I had a couple of runs the first coat but sanded them out lightly. Didn't have any runs or roller marks with the second. Running back over the wet paint with the roller without hardly any pressure took care of the roller marks and bubbles. Mine has a consistent sheen and texture throughout with this method.
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Well, some jealous H2 owner keyed the paint job over the weekend. At least it's an easy fix.
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
Ciaran2903
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Life kinda got in the way, so couldn't get on here to reply.

What I mean by the paint not being even is only on the hood, it is possible to see slight marks of the rollers, only in one spot, and only slightly visible. Not too sure why it happened. Too little paint? Too much paint? Either way, not a big issue, I will fix it in the spring/summer. May just add another coat to the hood.

That sucks that your paint got keyed! But as you said, an easy fix!!
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Some update. The CJ is a little dusty in this photo and any lines are from pollen & rain.

Have a small, less than dime size bubble on the front radiused edge of the hood. I think it may be from oil or dirt I didn't clean off properly. Strange how flexible it is. pushing around on it doesn't make it pop or crack which makes me happy about using the rustoleum. Soon I hope to sand it down and redo it.
jf2.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

It doesn't really relate but I live near Flint, Mi and once when I was in the city, I literally pulled up next to some dude who painted his entire car with a brush and house exterior paint in white. Worst paint job I have ever seen. But I like that finish of the Satin Black CJ up there^ it looks pretty cool, might have to consider that in my options.
BCrawford64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
flyguy017

Hey there Neuner-9r Love the great look and thanks for sharing! I am going with black monstaliner for the inside tub and think your outside effect is right on. I want the same effect when getting ready to re paint my CJ7. Couple questions.
Why did you choose the Rustoleum High heat paint? Did you try to, or were you able to achieve the same effect using the regular Rustoleum enamel that most are using for the rolled on paint jobs? I want to do mine in red outside tub color.
You used only a 2 quarts for the whole thing?
Thanks again.
flyguy017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Thanks man. I chose it because I used it on my BBQ'r and loved how the satin look turned out. Also loved how well it held up fully exposed to the Texas sun. Don't know about the rest of their paints but I wouldn't be afraid to use them from how I've seen other's turned out.

I'm thinking about changing the color every two to three years for something different but my friends and family don't want me to because they like the look so much.

Yep about 1-1/2 quarts. Never could find it in the gallon like I wanted. The CJ doesn't have much surface area except for the hood.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
Ohiojeepguy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I love this look I much I'm going to attempt it myself next month. Did you paint the underside of the hood too? Mine will be a color change. Also, did you sand after the two coats or polish after? And when did you finally apply wax?
Ohiojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

The underside of the hood was looking bad so I painted it as well during the process.

I only sanded out some minor runs I had on the first coat because it was my first attempt otherwise it is not sanded or polished.

Haven't waxed it yet because there are some repairs I want to make. The small bubble on the lip of the hood went away which is weird but I may still sand it down and patch. I also haven't fixed where some ahole keyed the tailgate.

edit: got new insurance and the CJ got labeled as a classic with a cheaper rating. The insurance rep had to take pics of it for their records. He loved the paint job and asked what kind of bed liner I used...
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #28
Ohiojeepguy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stang
I believe wet sanding is the best way to go
Would that get rid of the satin look? I would prefer a smoother finish but want the satin. Would wax or polishing effect this as well?
Ohiojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #29
flyguy017

Hey Neuner, How is the black satin paint holding up that you applied? Just curious if still the same texture and satin look? Has there been any fading?
flyguy017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #30
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Holding up really well. Very happy with it. Been a year now. Almost went back and changed the color last fall because I was bored with it but my family convinced me not to. It's nice having the ability to change with minimal cost and effort if wanting.

I've had a couple of chips from rocks, etc and I just went back and touched it up with a dab of the same paint. Blends right in and I wouldn't be able to find it again if I had to.

I did wax it late last fall. Gave it a semi-gloss finish for a little while which I liked as well.

*edit* went back through the post and pics. Totally forgot about the mysterious bubble I had on the front lip of the hood. It never did re-appear. Strangest thing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.