T&T Tube Fender - bondo or seam sealer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > T&T Tube Fender - bondo or seam sealer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
TexasTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

T&T Tube Fender - bondo or seam sealer?

Just received T&T tube fenders and wanted to smooth and seal the gap where the sheet metal and tubes are welded before painting. I was going to buy some Bondo Gold, but saw some DynaTron Seam Sealer in a caulk gun tube. Will the seam sealer work in this application? I know it is more flexible than bondo, and is waterproof which would be a plus for preventing rust in these seams, but can it be sanded smooth for a nice finish prior to paint?

Also looking for advice on proper sequence: 1. Bondo or seam sealer on bare metal, 2. Primer sealer on Bondo or seam sealer, 3. Etch primer on everything, 4. Paint ?

TexasTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
srdart67
2002 WJ 

Put etch primer on bare metal before you put anything on top! the seam sealer does not sand smooth however you lay it out is as smooth as you are going to get it. If it were me I would use the seam sealer and get it as smooth as possible. Bondo only lasts so long before it starts chunkin off and especially on fenders of a 4x4 the bondo doesnt stand a chance of holding up.
srdart67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
JHW12084
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i suggest epoxy primer, then a 2 part seam sealer....
JHW12084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

You CAN work with some seam sealers. Just gotta know which ones.

Kent Automotive makes one called "High-Tech" in Neutral or Black colors.

It is sandable after it's cured, and remains flexible. Great stuff.

P10095 for the neutral color.

3M's "All Around Autobody Sealant" is another such a product.

This one can be smoothed and shaped with simply a wet finger. I recommend a glove.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
TexasTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The seam sealer did not work out - did not smooth out nice. I was able to get all the sealer out of the visible seams and am starting over. Has anyone ever tried Bondo Plastic Metal? Supposed to dry to metal hardness, and is sandable. Or would I be better off with glazing? I don't have any experience with body work and just want to seal the seams to prevent water/rust.
Unread 04-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
GlobexMike

The best answer is to go down to your local autobody supply shop and talk to the sales Guy there. He will point you in the right direction as to what will work for you. I have used a filler called all metal I believe a long time ago and worked in a similar application. Make sure you epoxy prime the fenders before doing the bodywork over them. Then apply filler sand and apply a glaze over to make everything smooth. We usually prime that and then paint.
Unread 04-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTJ View Post
The seam sealer did not work out - did not smooth out nice. I was able to get all the sealer out of the visible seams and am starting over. Has anyone ever tried Bondo Plastic Metal? Supposed to dry to metal hardness, and is sandable. Or would I be better off with glazing? I don't have any experience with body work and just want to seal the seams to prevent water/rust.
What did you use?
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
TexasTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I originally used Dynatron Seam Sealer - it would have been fine on the underside, but the finish was rough on the top of the fenders. I tried some of the Bondo Plastic Metal last night on one of the fenders -it applied easy enough and I was able sand after a couple hours. I am going to sand more tonight and seal/primer it.
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
mynickburns
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used sealer on my TnTs. (Keep in mind I am by no means a body man!) You can get sandable sealer, but it takes lots of patients when sanding. If I were to do it all over again I would have just welded up the seams and called it good. I also gooped the sealer into that hole inside the fenders to seal it up. It does take forever for it to dry unless you live in a hot climate. I spent about 2 hours per fender sanding the sealer to get a good seal and clean look. (I hate to admit this but the areas where the sealer chunked out I just filled with super glue to seal up the gap. It looks just like clear coat finish!) Like I said, I am not a body man.
dscn0838.jpg   dscn0839.jpg   dscn0864.jpg  
mynickburns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
JHW12084
1990 XJ Cherokee 

listen.....if your worried about those small seams use a 2 part seam sealer, put it on where you want, and smooth it out with your finger(run your finger along the seam). just use enough to fill the seam. clean the excess off with thinner or wax and grease remover, or when its dry sand it off. dont use all-metal or any body filler. it will crack and flake off being its a flexpoint on the fenders. all metal can be used on steel, but its main use is for aluminum panels. also....the sealer you used could be worked with before its cured withe thinner or wax and grease remover to smooth it out and make it how you want it to look. but i suggest a 2 part sealer cause its a better product and once its dry, its not gonna crack or marble up.
JHW12084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Or he could use the ones I suggested a few posts back, which are designed to do exactly what he asked.
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had my tube fenders rhinolined with UV topcoat so I didnt have to worry about seam sealer or anything. Its held up great too but I dont bash my jeep in rocks though.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
TexasTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Or he could use the ones I suggested a few posts back, which are designed to do exactly what he asked.
Wish I had better access to these products, or I would have tried them. Unfortunately, I live in a very small town and there are no local paint or auto body supply stores. I was hoping to find something that is available locally. I will keep your suggestions in mind if the product I tried does not work out. Thanks.
Unread 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
mynickburns
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wish I had better access to these products, or I would have tried them. Unfortunately, I live in a very small town and there are no local paint or auto body supply stores. I was hoping to find something that is available locally. I will keep your suggestions in mind if the product I tried does not work out. Thanks.
Always remember your not limited by the supply in your local autoparts store either. Just because they don't stock it, doesn't mean they can't order it for you. It never hurts to ask.
mynickburns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
You can order directly from Kent Automotive. That's what I do. In fact, I've never seen their stuff sold in stores.

And I'm sure your local place can order the 3M stuff for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.