Spraying monstaliner tomorrow... one more quick prep question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Spraying monstaliner tomorrow... one more quick prep question...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Panhandler80
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spraying monstaliner tomorrow... one more quick prep question...

So, last weekend I sanded, ground, sanded, degreased, rinsed, ospho soaked and painted entire interior with POR15. First coat was about 1/4 of the interior on pitted areas and bare metal. I then painted whole thing.

Past couple evenings I've been scuffing it up. In here to tell you... That stuff a lot tougher than the candy coat factory paint that still existed in places.

So...my question. Every square inch if tub has been scratched up. However there are patchy areas where I guess POR15 was thicher than others. Here there is still a shine... Even though the shine has scuff marks all through it. Okay to spray over scuffed up but still shiny in certain light, or does entire surface area need to be dull?

Panhandler80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Panhandler80
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well, just talked to my paint guy and he confirmed my suspicion... No shine, no where, no how. Ugh...
Unread 10-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Like your paint guy said the less shine the better. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-65287.html could try something like that. Ive had the best luck with grey scotch-brite pads if you have a smart and final I know they carry them.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Panhandler80
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well... Like everything else so far it took twice as long as expected. Sprayed on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Good news is that it came out fantastic! She may rust from bottom, but it'll never rust from the top. No way in Hades i could have gotten a job that thorough and right had i paid for it. Oh, and getting shine off the completely POR15 tub was just awful. That's some serious stuff.
Unread 10-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler80 View Post
Well... Like everything else so far it took twice as long as expected. Sprayed on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Good news is that it came out fantastic! She may rust from bottom, but it'll never rust from the top. No way in Hades i could have gotten a job that thorough and right had i paid for it. Oh, and getting shine off the completely POR15 tub was just awful. That's some serious stuff.
Got any pics to post?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.