Spray On Bedliner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Spray On Bedliner

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 07-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
SoCalBear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Spray On Bedliner

Has anyone had experience with stripping bedliner? The previous owner coated the whole body with it and it was cool for a while but I am growing tired of it. It's hard to clean and I think a normal paint job would look much nicer.
How hard is it to strip it off?

SoCalBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It depends on what type was put on..rhino liner and Line-X will be a real PITA to strip..as far as any of the DIY liners...Aircraft Paint stripper can do it with a fair amount of work.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
SoCalBear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I should probably get in contact with the guy, I think it was a paint on liner and it wasn't done very well.

Thanks for the response.
Unread 07-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well if it wasn't done well it may come off (peel off) fairly easy??? But I think you are in for a lot of work either way...
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
SoCalBear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims-87YJ View Post
Well if it wasn't done well it may come off (peel off) fairly easy??? But I think you are in for a lot of work either way...
Yah I was looking at it and in some spots it is starting to come off, especially on the steps. The only thing is he coated the entire Jeep with it, inside and out.
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
StillYDGN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have a spray on bedliner on my floor plans looks like rustoleum truckbed liner. I want to redo it with a real truck bed liner like monsta or raptor linings. Im thinking i could sand it off like any other paint. Would that work?
StillYDGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If you value your time at all I'd highly suggest you have it soda blasted. It will cut through the liner but it won't damage the body.

You might have some success with other methods but it's going to take forever to remove unless the prep was terrible and they used something cheap.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
SoCalBear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
If you value your time at all I'd highly suggest you have it soda blasted. It will cut through the liner but it won't damage the body.

You might have some success with other methods but it's going to take forever to remove unless the prep was terrible and they used something cheap.
Hmm, I'll take a look into this, never heard of it but from the couple minutes I was on Google it looked promising.
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Jayhawk02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glass beads will warp the metal so be keep it soda and make sure the shop that does it has taken off liner before. My .02
Jayhawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBear View Post
Hmm, I'll take a look into this, never heard of it but from the couple minutes I was on Google it looked promising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk02 View Post
Glass beads will warp the metal so be keep it soda and make sure the shop that does it has taken off liner before. My .02
It works very well, but it's fairly pricey. Usually looking at around $1200 to do a full car body, but that's typically inside and out. Absolutely worth it though.

If you go that route just make sure you wash it really, really well several times after. It will wreak havoc on new paint if you don't get it all off the metal.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Zone

It's quite possible that neither soda blasting nor glass bead will work. If the bedliner material is fairly soft, the media tends to bounce right off and you will not get desired results. If the bedliner material is hard and VERY thin, then a media blast will work. If the bedliner material is hard and thick, then a media blast takes too long and it won't be cost effective.

You can try a high pressure washer (5,000 psi) and see what happens.

If you're lucky, the owner didn't prep the surface correctly and the bedliner will peel right off, like this:
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
SoCalBear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep looking around at my different options.
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
RebelRidinRyan
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I went to WalMart and bought a $7 quart of nylon paint stripper and after a few coats and being patient for the chemicals to work, I take a glass scraper and my liner just peeled right off.
RebelRidinRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.