Soap Box Derby - Body filler question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Soap Box Derby - Body filler question

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
86cj7pete622
1986 CJ7 

Soap Box Derby - Body filler question

This isn't a Jeep question, but it does deal with body filler so I'm hoping I'm in the right section...

My son and I are building a soap box derby car and the body is going to be masonite hardboard (brown colored 1/4", slick on one side, rougher on the other). We're looking for that smooth look so I want to put body filler over the screw holes so that it ends up being smooth and then we'll paint it.

My questions are: with body filler hold to the slick side of the masonite hardboard? Will I need to scuff it? Will the body filler eventually crack on me with all the bumps (small wheels) and the fact that the body will probably not be 100% solid (the frame will be all wood/2x4's, so I'm guessing it'll have some play, I'm hoping for none). Any tips on body filler for this application would be great.

Thanks,
Pete.
CJ7 86, 258, BDS 4", 33's, currently in a frame off resto.

86cj7pete622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
BDP72
1986 CJ7 

U might have already got ur mat. But if u have not i would go with 1/2 or 3/4 BC plywood . Then get a kreg kit and use pocket screws and wood glue. It's easy to use and makes a super strong joint and screw holes will be on the inside.
BDP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Bondo does work on wood with the smooth surface of masonite you'd probably need to scuff it up for it to hold best. Personally I would go with plywood like BDP72 suggested. If you take your time with sanding you can get it incredibly smooth.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.