So someone is giving me a faded hardtop... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > So someone is giving me a faded hardtop...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
CaptDave86
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So someone is giving me a faded hardtop...

Hey guys.

I've got an 04 TJ and it's off an 02 but faded something fierce. Who has painted one of these before? And what products did you use? Or is there something out there equivalent to the stuff that turns fender flares black again?

TIA

2004 TJ 4.0L, Locked D44/D30, 4" Rough Country, 1" BL, JKS MML, 35x12.50 Rovers, Cragar 352 Sim-locks. KC 150w HiLites, SYE/CV shafts, Lined tub, Alloy 4.56's R&P, PE8000lb Mile Marker, Snorkel, Hoola girl on the dash.
CaptDave86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I painted my old faded top with Gator Gaurd II bedliner,sold it a few years ago to a buddy in Atlanta for the fact it only sat on the jeep a few months if that every year here in SE Georgia,so i just stay with the soft top when needed.

For a DIY Monstaliner is a vendor here and seem to be a great product and customer service,it can be rolled or sprayed on and has many colors available if looking for a different color..
Raptor Liner is another good one.
Then you have the Line-X and Rhino Liners too,but a big dent in the wallet to have them done.

If you have your own compressor you can invest in a cheap spray gun and do it yourself with an automotive coating,my first choice in this case would be a good urethane whether it be single stage or BC/CC for the fact of the UV stability they have,especialy since you live in Alabama where the sun is killer on anything.

I prefered the bedliner for the fact of it's durabilty over anyhing else because i use mine on some pretty narrow trails with branches and bushes rubbing all the time..

I still see my old one quite a bit and it still looks like the day i sprayed it and that was a good 5 years ago or so...
top-001.jpg

top-003.jpg

jeeptop-002.jpg

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Zone

LINE-X Premium

Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
ToledoDave

Good idea. You also get the factory spackle look too rather then just flat paint. Not to mention creating an Egg shell of protection.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No need to get soaked $$$ by a Line-X dealer for that...Get some Durabak or Monstaliner if you want to bedline it with color. You can get the smooth stuff and spray it: would look real good either way. Don't know about Monsta, but the Durabak is tough as nails! Getting ready to do my new (to me) TJ's tub tomorrow...wouldn't use anything else...

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
No need to get soaked $$$ by a Line-X dealer for that...Get some Durabak or Monstaliner if you want to bedline it with color. You can get the smooth stuff and spray it: would look real good either way. Don't know about Monsta, but the Durabak is tough as nails! Getting ready to do my new (to me) TJ's tub tomorrow...wouldn't use anything else...
A Kia will get you across town just a well as a Mercedes. I don't think Mercedes is hurting too much for customers.
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So...we should purchase an expensive product that does absolutely *nothing* more, and no better, then the less expensive product simply because of "Brand Name Recognition"? The reason for doing this particular project is to protect a historically rust-prone Jeep tub from corrosion. The fact is, the expensive products are going to do *no* more in keeping corrosion causing moisture away from the sheet metal then the less expensive product. Most Jeepers are on some kind of budget and it makes no sense to buy into this "Gotta have the Mercedes over the Kia cus it costs more" argument! I have used Durabak, personally, and FWIW 10 years later the stuff is hard as nails and in perfect shape on my old 98 Sahara. It looks just as good and I saved a ton of money buy avoiding the over-hyped and over-priced, "professionally applied" alternatives.

Unread 09-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Cheapest will be spray paint

DIY bedliner is next level of cost. Herculiner, Durabak, Gator are not UV stable. Raptor, Monstaliner, Duplicolor are UV stable. Raptor can only be sprayed.

Linex if you have deeper pockets and want to add unnecessary weight to burn more gas
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Zone

Curious: How much does Monsta weigh per square foot at whatever mil thickness you choose?

Thanks

LINE-X weighs .72 pounds per sqft at 125 mils. Obviously, you don't always want or need 125 mils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
So...we should purchase an expensive product that does absolutely *nothing* more, and no better, then the less expensive product simply because of "Brand Name Recognition"? The reason for doing this particular project is to protect a historically rust-prone Jeep tub from corrosion. The fact is, the expensive products are going to do *no* more in keeping corrosion causing moisture away from the sheet metal then the less expensive product. Most Jeepers are on some kind of budget and it makes no sense to buy into this "Gotta have the Mercedes over the Kia cus it costs more" argument! I have used Durabak, personally, and FWIW 10 years later the stuff is hard as nails and in perfect shape on my old 98 Sahara. It looks just as good and I saved a ton of money buy avoiding the over-hyped and over-priced, "professionally applied" alternatives.
OK, you're happy with Durabak, good for you! Interesting comment about brand recognition. Brand recognition (or "branding") is very difficult to achieve.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, difficult or not: each "Brand" seems to have their camp followers and they seem to push their brand for silly reasons. The bottom line is to Protect the tub from rusting, as well as provide some kind of attractive alternative to carpet, for some. I prefer the Durabak version because it is MILSPEC (Good enough for the Navy, it's good enough for me) and I have used it successfully in the past. Not to mention the price and the ease of the project. If one has the money, fine: go for the expensive stuff...but they shouldnt fool themselves into believing the expensive stuff is going to prevent more rust then the cheap stuff! After all: regular Rustoleum paint will do the job, in the end. You will just have to repaint it more often then a bedliner. I would rather save the money and put it into tires or a lift...

Unread 09-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Zone

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but for clarification, the Durabak products that are MILSPEC are not the bedliner Durabak products you buy at Auto Zone. The MILSPEC Durabak is Duraback 18-M26 or Durabak M26.

LINE-X has been applied to the U.S. Pentagon, but the product is not the truck bedliner product.
Unread 09-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am, in fact, talking about Durabak M26, specifically. Which is what I just ordered and what you will get if you place an order from the nonslipcoating.com website. They have other products, but those products do not go by the Durabak name. I understand Herculiner is a subsidiary product, but I do not believe it is the same forumulation.

At any rate, my point was: There is *no* reason to spend 800$ on a commercial spray that will, in no way, protect a Jeep tub any better then the lower cost product. After you get past that, the only other issue is: does the product you choose come in the color you want. Or the finish you prefer. Smooth, aggressive tread, etc...

Unread 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Zone

I think different people have different definitions of what "protect" is depending on their application. If you want to just stop rust on a surface, Rustoleum works for $6.00 a can and you don't need Durabak, Monsta, or LINE-X.

If you need something more durable, you can buy something in the general class of a polyurethane like Durabak, Monsta, Herculiner, etc. They won't all have the same exact technical specs, but they all are a step above Rustoleum.

If you need something more durable than a polyurethane, you can buy a polyurethane/polyurea hybrid or a 100% polyurea. Again, they won't all have the same exact technical specs, but they all are a step above a polyurethane.

If you think some people don't need or want a polyurethane/polyurea or 100% polyurea for their Jeep, then you should talk to some of my customers! Sometimes, I don't think they NEED it either, but some people just want a superior product.
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone View Post
but some people just want a superior product.
Or the *idea* of a superior product. That is my point: it is not, necessarily a "superior" product. It may be touted as such, Rhino too. But "superior" is a *very* relative marketing term that actually means nothing. "Superior" in what way? The fact is, (and we are beating a dead horse!!)a cheaper liner applied properly will provide better protection than an expensive liner applied wrong. For example: Here is a very unhappy Rhino customer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCUXpTcfwE and in this video we have an equally unhappy Line-X customer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KyYyMAKSno ....The fact is, Jeepers tend to be a very energetic DIY crowd. Being a fan of DIY projects, wherever it can be done: it's nice to know there *is* a professional grade product that can be applied by an amateur and still work and look professional....Damn...we ground that horse into dust, didn't we? LoL!

Unread 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

For a hardtop and floor in a jeep..i'd prefer a DIY product for cost..my choice would be Monsta over any of them for the fact it is better than the rest in the sun,,plus it can be rolled almost smooth making easier for cleaning the floor of mud and dirt...and many color choices..lighter the better for me in the georgia hot sun,....

As far as any of the DIY's being just as good as Line-X or Rhino...i have to totaly disagree...i have had expereince with both and NONE of the DIY liners even come close to being as tough as Line-X or Rhino....

I litteraly over abuse my truck beds with loads of steel..engines..car parts...wood...Welding machines...etc etc and none of the DIY would of lasted nearly as close as the trucks i've had with Line-X and Rhino.....

I've drove trucks on jobsites that had just about any type of a DIY liner exept Monsta so far,,and those didn't last long AT ALL to the abuse..but the ones with Line-X and Rhino withstand to pretty much any of the abuse...

Thats not an opinion..its just facts...but the DIY's are more than good for a less abused surface such as a floor in a jeep or a hard top.......but as far being the toughest?..there is no doubting the Line-X and Rhino is MUCH tougher than any of the DIY's.....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.