Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Single stage metallic YJ in progress

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  SamzJeep 
#1 ·
Did 4.0 head swap and rebuilt my 4.2. During the build I painted the engine by with single stage metallic blue recently. Now I'm getting ready to paint the Jeep the same color. Had to do some minor bodywork first. Hoping to shoot the paint this weekend. I have another thread for the engine build here too.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Lookin good!:thumbsup:

I like the color

#3 ·
Well today I ended up just sanding and sanding and sanding (my son helped me all day long too). I first washed her down with soap and water, air dried her (air compressor) then wiped her down with grease/wax remover. We then started by taking a few things off the Jeep, then we started with our sanding. It ended up taking us most of the day, so we took a break for the day (five hours of prep so far). Tomorrow, I should be able to just wash her down again, then wipe her down with grease/wax remover one more time. Then we'll tape her off and being the paint job. Hopefully it turns out pretty good. I've never painted anything with a HPLV sprayer, other than the engine bay. The engine bay came out pretty good (for an engine bay), but it has some orange peel. I wasn't concerned with that, since it's the engine bay, but I have to make sure to try to adjust the sprayer and my technique so that I get a better job. I'll practice a bit before I shoot the paint tomorrow. Here's a couple pics of the YJ in progress.

Attachments

#5 ·
No primer next. I talked to a couple of paint shop guys and they told me that i'm good since i already had it sanded and primered a while back. They told me to sand it down with 400 then clean it up as usual then shoot the paint.

#8 ·
Here is an excellent lil write up from Barry of SPI about how to setup a spray gun to the best of it's ability

Adjusting Your Gun

I also agree with priming for the one uniform color too.

Worse case is you will probably have to do more coats if you get uneven color on it..all depending on how much color pigment is in the paint your using for a good coverage

#9 ·
Well, we got her painted today! Came out pretty good actually. It took several hours to get everything washed and wiped down with grease/wax remover again. Then we taped her off to get ready to shoot the paint. The prep took a few hours. I didn't have a place to paint it indoors, so I painted it outside. The wind was between 0-3 mph the entire day, so that wasn't too bad. I also hosed down the yard to help keep dust/grass from getting kicked up. I have an acre property, but the back property has dead grass and I didn't want to chance the dead grass getting blown around. My garage has too much stuff in it, so my best choice was my backyard. Anyway, It took a me a while to set the paint gun to where I thought it should be. Of course, I was winging it, because I'm no painter by no means. I didn't get your last post (above, how to set your paint gun) until I was finished painting! Dang! Anyway, it did come out pretty good and I'm happy with the results. There is some orange peel, but nothing I can't live without. I'm going to let her dry overnight, then I'll take the paper off and install my rear fenders and sliders (and a few other things that I took off). The paint came out nicer than the engine bay, so I'm happy with that. I'll post pics when I get her put back together. For now here's a few of todays paint job. My son even painted my ammo can center console to match!

Attachments

#10 ·
VERY NICE!! I have done many driveway/patio paint jobs. Usually on junk that anything will make it better. I also like the hinges on the tailgate. How do they work?

Ron

#11 ·
The drop down tailgate works great. I used the stock hinges and cut them down a bit. I used/made 3/8 think steel large washers for the backside. I also used truck tailgate cables for it. Cost me 20 bucks to make! It's extremely sturdy.

#13 ·
Got her all put together today! She came out pretty nice. I'm going to leave the top off for the rest of the week since it's going to be in the low 80's all week. It may be a little chilly going to work at 0500 hours (low 50's), but the ride home will be awesome! All I have to do is get two longer bolts so I can finish installing my latch for the drop-down tailgate. Other than that, she's pretty much all done for now. Next project will be painting my '74 FLH to match my Jeep. I'm gonna shoot her the same (Blue over Black). Right now my bike is Blue over White. I painted the bike myself a couple years ago with high temp engine paint and high temp clear. It came out pretty nice. No one believes that the bike is rattle can!

I attached the Jeep pics and one of me on my bike...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.