Is SEM vinyl paint suppose to scratch off??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Is SEM vinyl paint suppose to scratch off???

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
ralphieboy
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is SEM vinyl paint suppose to scratch off???

I just painted my instant trunk black, and I can scratch it right off.
I was told this wasn't going to happen, and it happened.

Does it need a certain amount of time to cure?
Do multiple coats help?

I was planning on doing my enitre dash and doors, but not if this stuff is gonna scratch and chip.

Is duplicolor any better?

Any help would be awesome, thanks!!!

ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
gtome

I havent ever used the SEM line for vinyl, but is there directions on the can? Should give you some information on prep and use. SEM is a very trusted name, and I would think it should work as well or better than anything else.

The couple times I used that kind of stuff, there was a certain cleaner to use, and if I remeber correctly, a adhesion promoter as well.

I have seen many cars that have the vinyl die or whatever that is peeling/rubbing off, so tend to stay away from it.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

I haven't used SEM in a long time, but only b/c it hasn't been available locally for some time. I did an interior of a truck with it once and used MEK as a cleaner. I know most people frown on MEK but I've been a painter most of my life and have no problems with it. I applied many coats, maybe 6 or more, since it was masked and I had plenty of material. It held out for years without a problem. Dash, steering wheel...everything. I had 5 or 6 specks of overspray hit one mirror and it chipped the glass when I scraped it off later.
You may want to get SEM vinyl cleaner for prepping it up. Use several coats with a decent drying time in between.
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
slowman9786
1981 CJ7 

I know this is a couple of weeks old, but SEM is NOT supposed to scratch off. It is the best vinyl/plastic spray paint IMO.

You have to prep it right or it will scratch off, like anything else would. You have to clean with acetone, or even better, MEK, like CJ258 said. Then, you have to apply a primer, or if its to vinyl, an adhesion promoter. Bullydog has worked great for me, but duplicolor makes a good adhesion promotor too.
slowman9786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
brodon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yep, sounds like you didn't properly prep. If there was any residual armor-all or anything like that it would cause the problem you described.
LJ owners member #275
brodon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
gtome

To be fair, I have never seen any interior paint that really worked super well. But prepping it right makes a huge difference. I would plan on redoing areas like door and kick panels as scrubbing shoes will scratch off about anything.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.