Seam Sealer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Seam Sealer?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Bigbob

Seam Sealer?

I am building a trailer. The sides are 1"X2" rect tubing. To that I welded 14 gauge steel. Of course I just tac, tac, taced it on. It is very secure and full welds are going to warp the snot out of it and are not needed. I want to prevent moisture from getting in between the 2 pieces of steel. I know on auto bodies they seal the joints with something.

What is that stuff called? I am guessing it's called seam sealer, but not sure. Do I put it on after I prime the metal or before?

Thank You.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Zybeon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could just use a silicon sealant or epoxy that is sandable and paintable. Then of course apply before you paint.
Zybeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
mfalik
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's called "seam sealer"

3M 08405 Flexiclear Body Seam Sealer

There are different varieties that that I'm sure can be purchased from shops that seller body repairs items; however, I have purchased from Auto Body Toolmart.
2007 Mazda CX-7 (the new commuter car)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer (Rear Ended - TOTALED)
1998 VW Beetle (SOLD)
1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited - (SOLD)
mfalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
AKCowboy
1985 CJ8 

It is called seam sealer and NAPA sells it. Put it on bare metal but make sure it is where you want it because it is a PITA to get off.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.