JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/)
-   -   Seam Sealer (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/seam-sealer-1382036/)

dagr8tim 06-16-2012 04:45 PM

Seam Sealer

I just had a section if subframe in my Jeep replaced due to rot. Now I need to get the seams sealed up because the welds are not one continuous bead.

I've read alot of stuff, and watched a bunch of video's on YouTube. Most of them seem to be fine body work and not a rough patch. I just want to keep this from rusting out again.

My end goal is to spray bomb the new metal and cleaned up original material with bed liner.

EDIT: I can't seem to find the brushable locally. Could I use the caulk gun type and then use a putty knife to spread it?

lloydj 06-16-2012 04:51 PM

Sand it, wipe with acetone , let dry , then spray area with chassis saver, or POR15

Ironworker709 06-16-2012 07:39 PM

You can use the seam sealer any way you need to..just buy the tubes of it and spread it where needed,try to "push" it into any loose seams instead of letting it just set on top.

dagr8tim 06-16-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironworker709 (Post 13731858)
You can use the seam sealer any way you need to..just buy the tubes of it and spread it where needed,try to "push" it into any loose seams instead of letting it just set on top.

That's what I was wondering. Can I get afew tubes and squeeze them out on a pallet and then use a putty knife to apply?

That seems like the easiest way for my application.

Ironworker709 06-16-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagr8tim (Post 13731906)
That's what I was wondering. Can I get afew tubes and squeeze them out on a pallet and then use a putty knife to apply?

That seems like the easiest way for my application.

That should be fine..it comes in a tube for a caulking gun because thats the common way to use it..kind of like caulking tiles and bathroom tubs...etc...

It can be applied any way you feel is the best for you....just make sure where you apply it is clean bare metal,that'll be your best bet in the long run,it's a paintable sealer and sticks to paint too,but it works best to bare steel..if the paint you might use on the surface first decided to fail later,than sealer come's off too

dagr8tim 06-16-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironworker709 (Post 13731988)
That should be fine..it comes in a tube for a caulking gun because thats the common way to use it..kind of like caulking tiles and bathroom tubs...etc...

It can be applied any way you feel is the best for you....just make sure where you apply it is clean bare metal,that'll be your best bet in the long run,it's a paintable sealer and sticks to paint too,but it works best to bare steel..if the paint you might use on the surface first decided to fail later,than sealer come's off too

Thanks for the info. Once I get it sealed up, it's getting some bedliner and calling it a day. It's the subframe and my Jeep isn't a show rig.

The time now is 08:25 PM.