Scraped paint and small dent, what to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Scraped paint and small dent, what to do?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Sunnyb92
1999 WJ 

Scraped paint and small dent, what to do?

I just purchased a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The owner who had it before me scraped a mailbox or a street sign.. On the drivers side the paint has been chipped off from about the start of the drivers side door all the way to the rear wheel well. (About 2 inches thick also) The rear wheel well has a very small dent, It's barely noticable. You can see this in the picture. The owner spray painted over the chipped paint so it wouldn't rust. I would like to know how I could make it look normal ..Or how much a body shop would charge me to get this fixed.

I was thinking about sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper and applying spray paint over and over until I blend it but I'm not so sure if that is going to work..

Anyway here are a couple pictures.. These are all I have for now, I took them 3 days ago when I bought the Jeep.. And Hurricane sandy is creating a problem for my camera lol.

Unread 10-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Sunnyb92
1999 WJ 

Also, the den't doesnt bother me. The mess of spray paint on the side of the jeep is what really earks me.
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Spraying it and wetsanding will get it to look lots better. Get Dupli color or have an autobody supply house put the correct color in a spray can. Wet sand before painting with 400 grit to give the new paint something to stick to. After it dries a couple of days lightly wet sand it with 600 grit and buff with rubbing compound.
Or take it to a body shop and ask them to only fix the paint. That should be around 300 bucks.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Duplicolor is only ~$6 a can, and matches pretty close. I would recommend going that route.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

wheel it

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.