Rusting welds on 2000 XJ door panels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Rusting welds on 2000 XJ door panels

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
jmolare
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rusting welds on 2000 XJ door panels

I noticed that the welds are rusting on the doors of my 2000 Cherokee. The rust is under the clear coat so cannot be treated with reformers and repainted. Eventually the rust will break through the clear coat and can be fixed but there will be more damage by then.

Rusting welds might be a common event in XJ's so there may be others that have faced this problem and have recommendations.

jmolare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Grind or sandblast the rust, treat with acid (Naval Jelly or POR-15 Metal Ready treatment), prime and repaint. "Rust Converter" treatments have never worked, and will never work. POR-15 does work as advertised if you carefully follow the preparation and application instructions.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
gtome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Grind or sandblast the rust, treat with acid (Naval Jelly or POR-15 Metal Ready treatment), prime and repaint. "Rust Converter" treatments have never worked, and will never work. POR-15 does work as advertised if you carefully follow the preparation and application instructions.
I disagree. Rust treatments (Picklex or Ospho) work great when done correctly, but they need to be topcoated. I would try to grind out ALL the rust first. If you cant get to the back side, see if you could get in there with one of those garden pump up sprayer wands. Spray some piclex or ospho in there with the wand. And either topcoat with epoxy and paint, or go with the POR15.

You could also use this for the inside if you cant get to it well. There is a long rubber line you can get from 3M too that will help reach hard to get areas. http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-b...4-p-11270.aspx

Last edited by gtome; 06-07-2010 at 10:06 PM..
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have tried the rust "converters" several times and they always have failed. Maybe they work if your rust is from salty sea air, but if the rust has bubbled the paint or pitted the metal, you need to completely remove the bubbled paint and rust scale and then kill the rust with acid. Sandblasting is better than grinding.

Undercoating is fine for soundproofing but it will trap moisture and accelerate rusting.

Get the POR-15 trail size kit, and carefully follow the instructions.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
jmolare
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The clear coat is still in place over the rusty welds. Not sure that putting more paint over the rust will improve anything.

Could the rust be from a galvanic action between the steel in the door panel and the alloys in the weld? If that is the case, then grinding off the clear coat and treating the rust will not stop the welds from continuing to rot.
jmolare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
gtome

No just putting paint over the rust wont help. Gotta get rid of the rust first. There is a good chance it is rusting from the inside. I agree that sandblasting would be better than grinding, but most guys dont have access to a blaster. If you can get rid of most of the rust, get it treated, and covered with epoxy, there is a good chance of success.

Personally I have had 100% success with stripping, treat with picklex, then if you cant see it when finished I use rust bullet, and if you can, I epoxy and paint. But like was said, if the rust is really bad it must be cut out and replaced.
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Try living in a state where they spread salt by the ton on roadways to clear ice and snow. My Cherokees all have had minor rust issues. The best you can do to slow the rusting, is to remove the rust scale and paint down to the bare metal, treat the rust, and try to seal the metal from further moisture contact. If you are dealing with the seams at the bottom of the doors, the moisture also gets into the seam from inside the door. POR-15 makes a sealer that is the consistency of toothpaste and it is used to seal seams and fill small rust pinholes. I used the POR paint products on the outer seam and the sealer on the inside of the doors to seal the seams.

Unread 06-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
gtome

Hear ya there!! I lived in Iowa my whole life up to a year ago. Most all the cars I did you could throw a cat through every panel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.