Rust "Proofing" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Rust "Proofing"

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rust "Proofing"

I was talking with some professional auto detailers about it and we agreed that the after sales crap they try to sell you at the dealership is a waste of money.

However, I would like to do something to the new JK to help keep it nice looking (yes I will wash and wax it) but on the underside and such where it will be getting all the nasty from the crap we need on our roads in the winter.

Every spring I have to get under my truck with a dremel and use some POR15 to treat rust issues. I would like to avoid having it take root on the Jeep for as long as possible, after all this is my first a wrangler with AC and without holes in the floors. Suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks!

Unread 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I suppose you could have the whole underside LINE-X'ed, that would be very pricy though. You could go some place like Ziebart and have it undercoated but I have heard that can be hit and miss.

Though honestly, rust doesn't seem to be much of an issue on newer vehicles since virtually every vehicle made today is made with galvanized/rust resistant steel, and factory coatings hold up pretty well. As long as you wash it in the winter/spring and don't let salt sit on it for long periods of time you likely won't have any issues.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

The dude in the finance dept straight up said that MOPAR no longer treats their cars with any type of "coating" from the factory. :shrug: Seemed shady to me.
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The best rustproofing will be to not drive it in the winter. PERIOD Up in Wausua the bottom of your Jeep will get covered in salty slush and be frozen for many months.The paint on the bottom is only there to make it not rust til its out of the lot and in your driveway. A winter beater is the best overall suggestion I can give. My Rubi sits in the garage til the weather gets nice. I drive an XJ otherwise.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

My JK is my beater in that case. I'm not buying another ride to drive in the winter.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Fluid Film, wash the underside as well as possible and use a gallon of it sprayed out of an undercoating gun. Repeat every fall, I spray it through the frame of my 03 TJ also after hosing it out also.

It doesn't dry, creeps into voids and acts as a long term penetrating oil.
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Fluid film, interesting.
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
rsalerno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fluid film, we use this stuff all the time in the aviation world, works wonders. Best bet, get it in a gallon container then pore it into a spray bottle. Love the stuff. Also hides under acf-50, it's basically the same stuff, but an aerosol and the film has a slight purple color to it. Again, I stand by it

2005 Silver LJ Rubicon
rsalerno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just wear protective gear if you are gonna spray acf-50. It gets everywhere and is pretty nasty smelling to some. I love the smell, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.