JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/)
-   -   Rust "Proofing" (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/rust-proofing-1536548/)

NIUPonyBoy 06-14-2013 03:39 PM

Rust "Proofing"

I was talking with some professional auto detailers about it and we agreed that the after sales crap they try to sell you at the dealership is a waste of money.

However, I would like to do something to the new JK to help keep it nice looking (yes I will wash and wax it) but on the underside and such where it will be getting all the nasty from the crap we need on our roads in the winter.

Every spring I have to get under my truck with a dremel and use some POR15 to treat rust issues. I would like to avoid having it take root on the Jeep for as long as possible, after all this is my first a wrangler with AC and without holes in the floors. Suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks!

dmill89 06-14-2013 04:55 PM

I suppose you could have the whole underside LINE-X'ed, that would be very pricy though. You could go some place like Ziebart and have it undercoated but I have heard that can be hit and miss.

Though honestly, rust doesn't seem to be much of an issue on newer vehicles since virtually every vehicle made today is made with galvanized/rust resistant steel, and factory coatings hold up pretty well. As long as you wash it in the winter/spring and don't let salt sit on it for long periods of time you likely won't have any issues.

NIUPonyBoy 06-14-2013 05:11 PM

The dude in the finance dept straight up said that MOPAR no longer treats their cars with any type of "coating" from the factory. :shrug: Seemed shady to me.

rjbruzan 06-14-2013 06:05 PM

The best rustproofing will be to not drive it in the winter. PERIOD Up in Wausua the bottom of your Jeep will get covered in salty slush and be frozen for many months.The paint on the bottom is only there to make it not rust til its out of the lot and in your driveway. A winter beater is the best overall suggestion I can give. My Rubi sits in the garage til the weather gets nice. I drive an XJ otherwise.

Ron

NIUPonyBoy 06-14-2013 06:21 PM

My JK is my beater in that case. I'm not buying another ride to drive in the winter.

festerw 06-15-2013 08:06 AM

Fluid Film, wash the underside as well as possible and use a gallon of it sprayed out of an undercoating gun. Repeat every fall, I spray it through the frame of my 03 TJ also after hosing it out also.

It doesn't dry, creeps into voids and acts as a long term penetrating oil.

NIUPonyBoy 06-17-2013 09:25 AM

Fluid film, interesting.

rsalerno 06-25-2013 09:58 PM

Fluid film, we use this stuff all the time in the aviation world, works wonders. Best bet, get it in a gallon container then pore it into a spray bottle. Love the stuff. Also hides under acf-50, it's basically the same stuff, but an aerosol and the film has a slight purple color to it. Again, I stand by it

athos76 06-28-2013 02:10 AM

Just wear protective gear if you are gonna spray acf-50. It gets everywhere and is pretty nasty smelling to some. I love the smell, though.

The time now is 09:17 AM.