Rust!- 2001 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Rust!- 2001 TJ

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
ryanrogers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rust!- 2001 TJ

I am having a problem with rust on both my fenders, the rear corners, and my tailgate/piece below tailgate (Rear Valiance?). Seeing how its new to me I want to get rid of the rust and get it painted. As I live in New York I just cant sand and repaint as the rust would be back in a week so I figure my only options are either to cut out the rust spots and replace with new steel or purchase new panels.

As I have no welding experience I am thinking that it would be easier to just get the new panels put them on and take the jeep to the painters- any suggestions on where to get new panels cheaply? Part of my problem is that I am at a disadvantage of never doing any body work (that I want to come out looking good).

I also am going to need to get new undercoating as rust is starting to poke through (ok - probably has been for the past few years but I looks like it can still be saved). I'm going to take it in and have it done as a local place has a deal where for the rest of the vehicles life they will touch up the undercoat for $50 or something close to that, but I would like to save some money by sand blasting the old coating and rust away myself. Anyone have any experience/tips they could give me or would it be better to go out and just have them do the blasting?

ryanrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
JTS24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search for POR 15. I have never used it but i've heard lots of good things. Of course replacing the rusty panels with new metal would be the best way.
JTS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
ryanrogers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well as I look into it the panels do not seem as bad as I once thought and at this point I think my plan is to blast the rust that is there off and completely rino-line the fenders back below the door and around under the top. Any thoughts?- I know its kindof drastic but in theory doing this should keep it from rusting for years and living up here in New York even if I paint it by the time next winter is over I will be lucky if I have any panels left!
ryanrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

New York or not, you should be able to sand it down and just put some primer on it to seal it up. The only places I've see it NOT work in in Florida, Alabama, and Louisiana, due to the high humidity in the south eastern part of the US. New York shouldn't be any worse than Ohio, and I did it there several times growing up.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.