Rolled My XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Rolled My XJ

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Nick1981
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rolled My XJ

This past Sunday my wife and I were wheelin' with some friends and I put my XJ on it's side. No one was hurt or even scratched so we winched it back over, checked all the fluids and fired it back up.

So the front fender and the rear door is trashed, No big deal. The problem is the windshield pillar is bent to far to allow me to replace the Windshield. Everything else on the jeep is fine, runs and drives great!!

Does anyone have any experience replacing this pillar? I checked with a local Chrysler dealership and the stock replacement parts are discontinued so I will have to cut out what i need from another XJ.

20130715_174008-2.jpg   20130715_174045-3.jpg   20130715_174013-4.jpg  
20130707_181617-1.jpg

Unread 07-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like most of it is the outer skin. Get a section from one in a boneyard from the top to the bottom all the way through. Cut the outer at good metal and peel it off. Then you can see what you have to do.
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dont cut the post out! They are many layers inside and whatever you replace it with will never be as strong. Once the glass is cut out you will see that the post is not to far out of place. By a port-a-power ( around 100 bucks from Harbor Freight) and push it back into place. The glass is glued in so if its not 100% correct the glass guy will just add a little more sealant to fill the void. As you can see the molding is rubber and glued in also so it will help cover the damage.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Nick1981
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The pillar appears to be in two halves, the top half and the bottom half and it is spot welded together. I thought about cutting the small bad section out of the top half, straitening it with a port-a-power, and replacing it with one from a junk yard. This is basically what I think goldhammer was suggesting. Rjbruzan, do you think doing it this way will make it weaker? IMHO it is already weaker due to the fact that it is bent but I'm not sure if it will weaken it more by hacking it and welding it back up. Any thoughts?
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I think splicing it will make it weaker. I would rather you straighten it with a portapower the weld a tang of sheetmetal to the lowest spot and pull on it with a come along to get the rest of the damage out. Thats how any body shop would do it.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

There is another layer of metal inside the two pieces that you see. You can jack and beat it back to shape and either just splice is the outer skin or do the pull tab or stud gun route. Stud gun spot welds a nail looking small rod which works with the appropiate slide hammer to pull the material.

If you go the splice route, after you cut the bad area of outer out then make about an inch wide backer to slip under each splice then clamp the outer erpair piece in and stitch weld solid (to keep warping down).

If you end up sectioning in all of the piece of pillar, stagger your cuts (not just straight through all layers. Do the outer as above so you can get at the center pieces to weld them up as well.

Been doing this for 35+ years.
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.