Rocker panels? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Rocker panels?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
dengel78
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rocker panels?

Hey guys,
I've been searching the threads and haven't found any definitive answers on replacing rocker panels DIY. My gf's XJ is in rough shape, but shes so attached to it that the idea of scraping it will bring a tear to her eye. The rockers are completely shot. The cancer has moved to the floor pans, fenders, door sills, everywhere! In order to pass inspection all it needs are new rockers, and buying replacement is out of the question. Is welding in tube steel a suitable replacement? Any other ideas? I love brainstorming!

dengel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you can weld on some steel tube. Most people do this for rock skids commonly called rock rails. Search the JeepForum or Google for info and pics.

Replacement rocker panals, door skins, and floor pans are available, and are not that expensive.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
dengel78
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! I've been doing some research on replacement parts, and thats what I've determined. Just found rot in the quarter panels too. I'm trying to figure out if this vehicle is worth saving.
Unread 06-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
gtome

"Worth" is relative. Worth the money? Worth the time? Worth it to her? It will be a ton of work to fix all the rot, and a ton of time. If you do all the work, it wont take a whole lot of money though. And I was thinking that I doubt using tube rockers will get you past inspection. Replacement rockers may be almost the only way to go. You could just use sheet steel, but it will look like hell.
I havent seen how bad it is, but could you buy a sheet of steel and just patch in the bad spots on the rockers (and quarters..floor.. etc..)?
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
dengel78
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree that worth is relative. I just don't want to put a ton of work into this vehicle just to have it be an off roader, granted it will be used for that! We need another DD. Is the reason tube rockers wouldn't pass bc its not OEM? Seems a shame. I'll look more into replacement rockers then. And as soon as I figure out how to post pics, I'll share the damage. I'm admittedly better with cars then computers! Thanks!
Unread 06-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
gtome

Yeah it would be a TON of work. And please dont quote me on if that would pass inspection or not, I just highly doubt it. No inspections here.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
dengel78
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just to make things more interesting, I was offered a 99 XJ with a blown HG and bad fuel pump for $400. The vehicle is in great shape, just a little rust on a fender, which is rare here in Maine. My only concern is that the vehicle has been sitting with the blown HG for about a year. I don't know if theres coolant in the oil or if the blow out is just between cylinders. I'll probably go and look at it today.

And if I do get this XJ and scrap the other one I plan on pulling the engine, tranny and transfer case before it goes to the scrap yard. Oh, and the fuel pump. Anything else I should think about pulling for spares?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.