Removing TJ Fender Signals - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Removing TJ Fender Signals

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 04-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #16
RUBIJ0E
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could either of you send me some info on your turnlight relocation setup?

RUBIJ0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The below is from this thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tu...cation-418647/

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
If you notch the three ribs in the JK enclosures just barely wide enough for the grill sheet metal to slip into instead of removing them, and cut three little notches into the grill so the JK turn signal can be inserted at a slight angle, you can make the enclosure twist-lock into place instead of needing to silicone it. That makes it easy to remove the enclosure for when a bulb burns out.

You can see the three notches in this pic. Just make sure to cut them so the enclosure is inserted rotated 15-20 degrees from straight so it will be straight when twist-locked into place.
Are there more pics of this jeep? I'm interesting in installing JK lights in my Red Jeep. I plan to remove the stock turn signals from the fender and fill it in.

EDIT: I found them.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ne...1/#post8793360

EDIT 2: I followed the link for the JK Parking Lamp Assembly from Rock Auto. The part numbers are:
TYC Part # 18603400 Part {#55077885AC, CH2530103} Includes Bulb & Socket LEFT
TYC Part # 18603300 Part {#55077884AC, CH2531103} Includes Bulb & Socket RIGHT

$12.02 EA. I just ordered both and with shipping it was $29.24.
Unread 04-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some more shots after the Paintscratch paint arrived. I should have taken more time sanding to make it perfect, but it's close enough.

First I resanded some major leveling issues.

After re-priming I rolled some news paper to give the paint a feather edge. I saw some auto painting videos discussing it. It was also referenced earlier in the thread. This is the key to making the paint match. The paintscratch paint was closer in color, but I bet I would have gotten away with only the duplicolor using this technique.

The pics above are with base coat only. There is no clear coat at this point. I will add some clear coat and polish it once the weather cooperates for more than a day. The location of the fender light is perfect for bondo due to the many folds in the steel making it very rigid. The folds also allow for some light reflection that are much more forgiving for close paint colors. If I had it to do over I would have sanded much more. If you look closely at the area you can still see the outline of the bondo patch. You have to look for it and you have to be reasonably close. I think it turned out really well considering I had no experience with body filler or painting techniques. If anyone is thinking about trying it I'd say it's totally worth it for the look and on a scale of 1-10, 10 being hardest, it's a 5. Mostly because you are making substantial changes to the body and taking that first step is extremely nerve-wracking.
Unread 04-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How long after the clear coat is applied before you can polish it with compound? I tried a couple hidden spots and it just took the clear coat off.

Here some updated shots after some clear coat.

Here are some under flare shots to show the resin and the hole I used to route the blink lights to the grill.

Unread 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey @willydigger! You still around? I think this is a great look. How has this bondo job held up over time?
MLaborde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #21
Falcor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaborde
Hey @willydigger! You still around? I think this is a great look. How has this bondo job held up over time?
I am interested as well to see how this has held up. I called Maaco to get a quote, and they came back with about $950. I still think this patch method would work fine.

(sold) 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0L, 98 TJ Sahara, 78 CJ-7, 88 Grand Wagoneer
www.real4x4.iwarp.com
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
0utback
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah me too.
Westman Jeep Association
Canadian Jeep Club Mbr #65
You can't be lost if you don't care where you are!
0utback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
Mogimbu
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of going the OTHER direction on my YJ.
My prerunner bumper blocks the view of my grill mounted turn indicators. I was thinking of relocating them to the fender :-)
This project looks great! Good looking vehicle!
Mogimbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
hogbed
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm curious to see if, in time, it cracks from vibration in any way. Other than that I think I'll do it too, although I'll weld mine. I like the blinker on the grill look a lot better.
hogbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
Rumbles
1984 CJ7 

What a huge improvement over the factory look. Nice!
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Shotgunonly26
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That looks fantastic. Love the way it turned out. My jeep is red so I love it even more. Haha. One thing I would do tho is use a more flat turn signal in the grille since the headlights are set in more. That's just me tho. Looks great.
Shotgunonly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #27
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

They moved the turn signals out to the fenders to provide room to mount winches, non-OEM bumpers, auxiliary lighting without obscuring the legally required and visible to on coming traffic turn signals.

Line X the top of your fenders. I mean Line X brand, not the stuff in a can. If you use the "stuff" in a can, the Duplicolor bed liner is good stuff and easy to remove and touch up and somewhat durable.
2006 TJ Rubicon, Custom 4 inch lift with Currie Arms, TF springs, RS9000 shocks, TF High Steer Kit, TF ST Dual rate anti-rock, TF front track bar, Yellow Box speedo correction, Black Rock 15X10 Streetlock wheels with BFG AT 33X15X12.5 tires, Line-X tub, Bed Rug carpet, Tom Woods shaft, Spidershade, Savvy corner and rocker armor, Exogate.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.